Appy Trails Mark V

Weight 1 lb 11 oz

My husband and I have used our Mark V now on three…

Price Paid: $99 on sale

Pros

• Light
  • Packs small
  • Tall height
  • Lots of room

Cons

• Bugs could be an issue

My husband and I have used our Mark V now on three trips and will use it again next week at Glacier. It is a single wall backpacking tent. It is light weight and easy to erect.

We have slept in the rain and wind in it and also in some sub-zero temps and it was fine. With just the two of us the vents take care of condensation.

It does not have a floor so we have used an all purpose plastic emergency blanket as the ground cover. I have fashioned a slightly larger one of black 4 mil carpenter plastic for our Glacier National Park trip. That is larger and slightly lighter.

One minor issue at Lake Chelan, WA. We camped in a damp part of the campground and at 3 a.m. my husband awoke with a large slug crawling across his face and bald head. Several slugs had invaded under the edge of the tent. We camped in the snow in the Grand Tetons without any slugs attacks. Have also used it at the Bowl and Pitcher state park near our home in Spokane.

Lots of room inside to put your pack, etc. You can set muddy boots on the ground next to your ground cloth without getting anything else messed up.

Update August 2012

We used this tent numerous times in the last two years both in the backcountry and at regular campgrounds in the Inland Northwest. We used on a 5-night backcountry trip in Glacier National Park and have camped at other car camping sites in Glacier as well. No other slug attacks or bothersome creatures since Lake Chelan.

If it looks like there will be a gap we now find a couple of rocks to put on the edge of the tent. We've not gotten wet or had any trouble with stability in two years. The material is durable and no holes or rips. There are no zippers, just velcro closures so there is very little to break or go wrong.

I like that I can stand up in the tent and there is plenty of room. I do not have to crawl in on my hands and knees like a regular 2-man backpacking tent.

Without the poles and stakes the tent weighs less than 2 pounds. You do not need a pole if you want to suspend it from a tree or you can use a treking pole with an extension, but the ready made poles are easier for us to manage. We are considering getting a carbon pole to replace the aluminum one which came with the tent and I am considering replacing the black plastic I use as a ground cloth with something even lighter, but it is already very light for the amount of space you have inside.

I have looked and looked for something as light and as comfortable and only find very cramped small tents at very high prices for the same weight. We'll keep our Mark V until something better comes along.

doug4566

I just bought one..Hope aray it works as good as your!!! Looks pretty staight forward to set-up, or are there "tricks" i need to know

Single-wall design boasts low weight, while its single center pole architecture creates a stable and tight structure. As a backpacking style tent, full vestibule space is built in.

The fabric is ideal for single-wall tents, not water repellent but water proof coated polyester, 185T.

Only one tent pole, light and compact, and also lessening the need to carry weight by having the options of mounting using cord or a pole found at site or a hiking pole with extender (furnished).  A small rear support is also furnished, but a stick can be found on site.

Tensioned fabric makes the tent quiet in heavy winds. Doors use hook and loop, lessening weight and allowing outside viewing and quick exit. Doors can stay open in the rain without saturating the tent.

Stuffsack slightly oversized for ease of stuffing. Compression instructions included. Comes with stakes, stake bag, guylines, stuff sack, instruction/care card/information sheet. All seams factory sealed.

Visit Appy Trails's Mark V page.

The Appy Trails Mark V tent is an ultralight weight hiker's dream come true. It will sleep 4 - 5 people in comfort and weighs so little that you will find yourself going farther each day. It has no floor so you can use whatever ultralight weight ground cover you want or nothing at all. Because it has no floor it has great ventilation. The coated polyester fabric is waterproof and is a muted green color to blend into the woods if you are looking for a stealth camp. Set up can be either with the supplied poles, your trekking poles, brances found along the way or you can suspend it from a tree for a poleless ultralight shelter.Sleep 4-5 peopleSingle-wall design boasts low weight, while its single center pole architecture creates a stable and tight structureBuilt in vestibule area in the doorThe fabric is ideal for single-wall tents, not water repellent but water proof coated polyester, T190Setup with included lightweight aluminum poles or leave them behind and use branches found at the site, a trekking pole or even suspend it from a treeTensioned fabric makes the tent quiet in heavy winds.Stuffsack slightly oversized for ease of stuffing. Compression instructions includedComes with stakes, stake bag, guylines, stuff sack, instruction/care card, information sheetIncluded poles pack in your wand pocket or on the side of your packAll seams factory sealedImport.Fire Retardant.

- Campmor

Appy Trails Mark V

The Appy Trails Mark V is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 9, 2013 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.