Big Agnes Double Z

A fluffy cloud made for sleeping! The Double Z saw…

Summary

A fluffy cloud made for sleeping!

Pros

• Packs small
  • Super comfy

Cons

• Not many

The Double Z saw its first action in GSMNP on a recent three night car camping trip in June. True to the statements made by Big Agnes it inflated to a pillowy 4 inches in thickness. No problems with the thickness at all (pretty much why I bought it in the first place), but my personal preference would have been to be a couple of inches wider at the shoulder ( it is listed at 20" wide). I know the larger pad is wider (25" wide) but I just did not need the extra length.

This pad tapers into a mummy shape and I found the regular to be a great length for me (I'm 5'6" 170 lbs). It is a tad noisy when laying down and getting comfortable. I will say that overall the noise isn't too disruptive. The Double Z is much more quiet than a NeoAir for example. If sharing the tent with a partner I would not expect too many complaints unless they are a light sleeper.

I am mostly a back sleeper with an occasional toss to one side or the other. Once my full weight was put onto the pad I could not feel the ground with my hip, knee, or elbow. When inflating the pad I did so conservatively and found it too firm when I first layed down, thus needing to let some air out. The valve at the head end was easy to find and operate while laying on top of the pad and I was able to dial in the correct firmness.

I did use the Big Agnes pump house to inflate the pad as I had read some info about prolonging the Double Z's life by not introducing moist air into the pad via blowing it up by mouth. I will say I really liked the double valve that is connected to the pad. The top piece is used to inflate and all the air forced into the pad stays put and will not escape unless the second part of the valve is released.

After waking up the next morning after use I found I was less stiff than normal and was able to get up and get moving right away. Using other products that are not as thick have prompted me to have more stiffness and pain upon waking. This pad made a huge difference for me, I did not wake up any morning with pain or back stiffness.

The stabilizers are a very well thought out part of the construction. At no time on this pad did I feel bouncy or unstable. I did have a worry it would feel like a pool float or an overinflated air mattress but those thoughts were put to rest the moment i took it out of the package and inflated it for the first time in my living room.

I was also impressed with the fact that I did not need to add any air over the course of the three nights I slept on it. The lowest temperature experienced was 62° and I was very cozy in my tent with rainfly using a 55° bag. The R-value on this is super low 1.5 so this is great for warmer weather but depending on your comfort level this may not be best for shoulder seasons. I will most definitely use this in late spring and summer trips. I had no issue with clamminess during the rain we received in the campground. I did not find the pad sticky at all, it was mostly smooth and cool to the touch.

I stated above this was a car camping trip but we were still very mindful of items packed. The Double Z packed down to water bottle sized proportions. Smaller than a Nalgene in my opinion. It comes in a mesh stuff sack with repair kit located at the bottom. A nice bag with drawstring that opened wide to accept the rolled up pad. No fighting what so ever to get it back in its place. Deflation was a snap. Minimal work on my part once the valve was opened all the way the air was very easy to push out. I had it all tidied up in its stuff sack in less than 3 minutes.

Overall this is a great piece of gear I recommend highly. If you are looking for luxury in a small package this is it!

The Big Agnes Double Z Air Pad is a superlight & ultra-compact warm weather pad. It is perfect for summer outings when the temperature doesn't dip too low. With the Stabilizer construction you won't have to worry about falling off your pad in the middle of the night. Stuff sack and repair kit included. The repair kit is in a small pocket on the inside of the stuff sack. It's sort of hidden, so look twice!

- CampSaver.com

Available late summerUltimate comfort should be a luxury no matter where you rest your head Enter the Double Z a 4 thick gateway to dreamland that features an internal stabilizer construction to distribute weight evenly and a 2piece valve allowing for one way inflation and super quick deflation Because roughing it is a state of mindbull Superlight compact warm weather padsbull Stabilizer construction distributes weight evenly creating a smoother more comfortable feelbull Two piece valve which allows for one way inflation and quick deflationbull Superlight nylon ripstop top and bottombull Estimated RValue of 15bull Stuff sack and repair kit included The repair kit is in a small pocket on the inside of the stuff sack Its sort of hidden so look twicebull Each pad individually inflated and tested

- Bentgate.com

Free Shipping. Big Agnes Double Z Air Pad FEATURES of the Big Agnes Double Z Air Pad Stabilizer construction distributes weight evenly creating a smoother, more comfortable feel SPECIFICATIONS of the Big Agnes Double Z Air Pad Temperature Rating: 35deg F / 2deg C Thickness: 4in. / 10 cm R-Value: 1.5 Insulation: Air Superlight nylon rip-stop top and bottom Valve: Two piece valve which allows for one way inflation and quick deflation SPECIFICATIONS for Mummy 20 x 72in. / 51 x 183 cm Weight: 16 oz / 454 g Rolled Size: 4.5 x 8.5in. / 11 x 22 cm SPECIFICATIONS for Mummy 25 x 78in. / 64 x 198 cm Weight: 27 oz / 765 g Rolled Size: 5 x 11in. / 13 x 28 cm

Ensuring the ultimate comfort is a luxury you can enjoy no matter where you are, the Big Agnes Double Z is a 4-inch-thick inflatable sleeping pad with internal stabilizer construction and a convenient two-piece valve...in other words, it's your gateway to Dreamland.Winner of Backpacker magazine's 2014 Editors' Choice Award.

- EMS

Ultimate comfort should be available no matter where you rest your head-even on lightweight backpacking trips. Enter the Big Agnes Double Z Air Sleeping Pad, a 4 in. thick gateway to dreamland. Pad features an internal stabilizer construction to distribute weight evenly for a smooth, comfortable feel. 2-piece valve allows for 1-way inflation and quick deflation. R-value equals 1.5; most sleeping pads we sell range in R-value from 1.0 (minimally insulated) to 9.5 (highly insulated). Superlight nylon ripstop top and bottom stand up to frequent use on backpacking trips. Stuff sack and repair kit included (repair kit is concealed in a small pocket on the inside of the stuff sack). Each Big Agnes Double Z Air Sleeping Pad is individually inflated and tested to ensure there are no leaks.