Big Agnes Fairview 1

Great tent. Great price. I admit I was hesitant at…

Summary

Great tent. Great price.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Easy pitch
  • Roomy
  • Wind resistant
  • Good airflow

Cons

• Heavy
  • Bulky

I admit I was hesitant at first because of the price, and the fact that I hadn't heard anything about it, but I trusted in the Big Agnes name, and pulled the trigger on the Fairview 1.

There is nothing fancy about this tent, it's just simple and functional. The cross-pole design is so easy to pitch you could probably do it with your eyes closed. I am 5'8" and broad shouldered, and this tent was very roomy for me. I had plenty of clearance on both sides and head-to-toe. I could sit up easy without touching my head on the top, and the inside pockets were perfect for my headlamp and bear spray. Unlike other solo tents I've seen, it's not like you're sleeping in a coffin. It actually feels like a tent.

It rained on me every night on a trip in Montana's Lolo National Forest, and not an ounce of water got in. It most certainly is waterproof. I was somewhat concerned about moisture on the inside due to the lack of mesh, but found it dry as a bone every morning. The very top of the inner wall is all mesh, and combined with the vents on the rainfly, it really circulates air well. Speaking of the rainfly, the vestibule is quite small, but should be just enough to cover your gear.

I also dealt with fairly high winds (30-40mph) camped on shore at a high mountain lake, and had zero problems. I didn't even guy it out all the way, and it held fast all night. In the morning my hiking companion's Kelty Crestone looked like it took a beating, but the Fairview was still taut and sturdy.

034.jpg

The bottom line is that I really love this tent. The only drawback with this tent (like almost all freestanding tents) is the weight, at 3lbs 8oz. If you're thinking ultra-light it is probably too heavy. If ultra-light isn't your deal, and you would rather sleep soundly at night with the knowledge that you're protected from the elements, then I would highly recommend this tent.

Escape on a solitary backpacking adventure with the Big Agnes Fairview 3-season tent. Lightweight and compact, it provides enough room for you and your gear but doesn't weigh down your pack. Tent body is lightweight polyester mesh and durable, breathable polyester; tent construction and materials are suited to spring, summer and fall camping. 1-person, freestanding Fairview tent has a large door for easy entry and exit. Fly and floor are made of durable polyester taffeta with a waterproof polyurethane coating. Vestibule is perfect for keeping gear covered in bad weather; vestibule door zippers feature protective stormflaps. Aluminum poles are lightweight yet incredibly strong. Plastic clips attach the tent body to the pole frame for a quick and easy setup. All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (no PVC or volatile organic compounds). Reflective guyline and stakeouts increase nighttime visibility. 3 interior mesh pockets organize gear. Includes stuff sacks, stakes and guyline. Special buy.

Big Agnes Fairview 1

The Fairview 1 has been discontinued.

The Big Agnes Fairview 1 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 8, 2013 at REI.