Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL3

It is a light and functional backpacking tent that…

Summary

It is a light and functional backpacking tent that works well for 2 and a dog. There are a few areas of weakness, that could compromise a trip.

Pros

• Light enough for backpacking
  • Great for dry nights with the fly off
  • Quick setup

Cons

• Poles compromised because of use of plastic fittings holding everything together.
  • Craftsmanship leaves room for improvement

I've had the tent for a over a full season now. I like the design and when it's working correctly it's a nice tent. However; I've already had it replaced twice due to manufacturer defects.

I use it for bird hunting in Colorado in September and last year after a summer's worth of testing, the plastic piece all the poles go into broke in the middle of a night I had the fly off. I woke up and it was cracked and was no longer structurally sound enough to support the weight of the pole. Luckily, I was in Steamboat Springs at the time and made a quick trip over to their warehouse and they replaced the poles for me.

Later on that season I had the same issue where the plastic piece broke again, only now it was also coming apart where the mesh and the sil-nylon come together and the fly was separating where the tie downs were on the bottom. Big Agnes, however, is a good company that stands by their product and replaced the whole tent for me this spring.

I've used it this summer and have been pleased with it during a some inclement weather above 10,000 feet. I've since taped the plastic pieces where I've had failures before, as a bit of preventive maintenance, as I wouldn't want to compromise another hunt.

It fits my girlfriend, myself and the dog well and we love camping with the fly off, and the wall that is all mesh, makes for some pretty spectacular mornings as well as star gazing. Camping a few weeks ago with the top off we were greeted by the morning sun, with a view of a mountain goat on a ledge above us that will go down in the history books for my preferred method of waking up.

Overall I enjoy the tent and a company that stands behind its products is worth my business again.

Amazing tent, love everything about it... Over 40…

Summary

Amazing tent, love everything about it... Over 40 nights of use and it still looks and performs like day one.

Pros

• Structurally strong and durable
  • Roomy and well ventilated
  • Easy setup, tent, poles, fly etc
  • Great rainfly
  • Neutral colors
  • Two doors
  • Nice storage

Cons

• Maybe too well ventilated

So we began with the same tent in a two-man version JR2. After laughing at how small it was, we returned it for the Jackrabbit 3-man version. Now we have a real two person tent. haha.

After using it on a couple backpacking trips, I bought another one because we couldn't ask for more and I prefer my personal space because I'm somewhat organized. It's around 5 lbs which for a 3-man is light imo and I'm usually solo, so I have plenty of room.

I could see squeezing 3 men in it if they were all skinny and the others were dealing with failing walmart tents, other than that, 2 is my max. The two doors make it great for two people so there's no reason to climb over your buddies sleeping bag etc. It has small mesh pockets on all four corners inside for headlamps, compass, sunglasses, camera etc. Wind didn't budge the tent, and rain was no match.

The only issue is the one end is basically entirely made of screen. On cold nights, I will drape my camp towel or emergency blanket over it to stop the flow of air. During the summer, this mesh is a major pro.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a one or two man tent ready for 3 seasons.

I recently purchased a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit 3. After…

I recently purchased a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit 3. After setting the tent up I crawled into it to inspect.  I found four holes in the mesh of the tent body.  I never camped in it.  I sent it back to REI.  They offered to replace it but I thought the durability of the tent would be a big problem and I declined.

They are light weight and have a number of good features.  However the initial aggravation with the tent kept me from wanting to try another one.

Visit Big Agnes's Jack Rabbit SL3 page.

Double doors and vestibules, plenty of internal storage and lots of headspace; the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL series offers all the bells and whistles you would expect from full featured, heavier tents but with significantly lighter weights.

- CampSaver.com

A superlight, 3-season, freestanding backpacking shelter, the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL3 tent offers easy living for 3 people with 2 doors and 2 vestibules.

Three season free standing superlight backpacking tent DAC lightweight aluminum poles with press fit connectors featuring ecofriendly anodizing All DAC poles made from TH72M aluminum the latest technology in lightweight tent poles featuring improved durability Fly and Floor are lightweight silicone treated nylon ripstop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating Tent body is lightweight nylon and polyester mesh Mesh body offers excellent ventilation Hubpole system makes set up quick and easy Plastic clips attach the tent body to the pole frame for quick and easy setup Double doors and vestibules Interior mesh pockets to organize gear Reflective guyline and reflective webbing on tent corners for nighttime visibility All seams taped with waterproof solventfree polyurethane tape No PVC or VOCs 8 Superlight aluminum stakes included Gear loft loops included Fits Big Agnes WALL gear loft sold separately Footprint sold separately Note we list several weights for our tents to aid your product researchTrail weight refers to poles fly and tent bodyPacked weight includes poles fly tent body stakes guy lines stuff sacks instructions and packagingFast Fly weight refers to the poles tent fly and accessory Fast Fly footprint Storm flap over vestibule zipper

- Bentgate.com

Big Agnes Jack Rabbit Superlight 3 Person Tent. SL2, SL3, SL4 feature double doors and vestibules. Storm flaps on vestibule zipper. Reflective guyline and webbing on tent corners. Media pockets located above sleeping area enable clean ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices. Quick Sash on tent body door makes stowing unzipped door simple and easy. Fly and floor are nylon rip-stop. Fly and floor have 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating. Tent body is polyester mesh. All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's). Plastic clips attach tent body to pole frame. DAC pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs. Hub pole design. 8 (SL1, SL2 & SL3), 10 (SL4) lightweight aluminum hook stakes. Three (SL1), two (SL2), four (SL3 & SL4) interior mesh pockets. Two internal media pockets. Gear Loft loops included. Trail weight: 4 lb 8 oz / 2.04 kg. Packed weight: 5 lb 2 oz / 2.32 kg. Fast Fly weight: 3 lb 8 oz / 1.59 kg. Packed size: 7 x 21 (in) / 18 x 53 (cm). Floor size: 43 sq ft / 4.0 m2. Floor length: 88 in / 224 cm. Floor width: 70 in / 178 cm. Head height: 47 in / 119 cm. Vestibule area: 9/9 sq ft / 0.8/0.8 m2. Color: Silver/Plum

- Tahoe Mountain Sports