My best pad, period. Just attach it under the lid…

Price Paid: around $60

Summary

My best pad, period. Just attach it under the lid at the top of you pack or strap it to the sleeping bag compartment, and you are good to go.

Pros

• Very well made
  • Easy to inflate
  • 1.5-inch model rated to 0 degrees
  • 2.0-inch model rated to minus 25 degrees

Cons

• Will have to help inflate if stored compressed
  • Winter ready pad, so heavy

A pad that keeps you warm down to 0° (1.5") or -25° (2.0") degrees. Comes with a repair kit in the stuff sack. Will need to blow a bit of air into the pad after it self inflates, especially if you've stored it in its stuff sack.

Unlike other air pads, you will not feel like you're balanced on a pool float.

I have the 1.5 inch model, and it is very trust worthy. I've had it for years, and have never had even the smallest leak. I store it rolled in its stuff sack (I don't have the space to store it inflated). I just inflate it at home for a couple of days prior to back country use, to make sure it isn't leaking, and to make subsequent inflation easier.

IMG_20170223_141953_672.jpg
Used it recently in sub-40 degree weather, and had a Lafuma 35-degree bag zipped around my feet and then unzipped and draped over my body and I was very comfortable.

I have other pads: the Big Agnes Air Core SL, a summer pad, the Therm-a-Rest Backpacker Lite, 1" ultra light, and the closed cell RidgeRest. I find unless it is going to be warm when I camp, this is the pad I want to carry.

To pack down to its smallest size after deflating, open valve and roll from end. When fully rolled up, close the valve. Unfurl the pad. With valve still closed roll up again. When you reach the nearly fully rolled point, open the valve, squeeze out the excess air and close the valve.

The valve is brass and plastic. I use a q-tip sprayed with WD-40 to oil the brass threads every year or so.

I highly recommend this pad.

Welcome to Trailspace, John!

Timothy Schneider

I am looking at the Big Agnes Two Track Sleeping pad 72X20X2 for Bicycle Touring to use with the Big Agnes Encampment 15deg Sleeping bag 2018

This review is for the 2" thick model. It comes complete…

Price Paid: $83 + local sales tax

This review is for the 2" thick model. It comes complete with a compression sack and field patch kit.

Let me begin by saying that I received some wonderful instruction on sleeping pads and this pad specifically from the expert at my local outfitter. I'm convinced that he has just as much to do with this positive rating as does the gear, because he ensured that I had the proper piece of gear for the intended application. If the person from which you buy your gear typically knows less than you, it may serve you well to shop elsewhere.

I'm writing this after coming home from an early Spring excursion. After a pleasantly warm last two weeks of March, our long-planned overnight trip would come on the second of of two consecutive sub-freezing nights. I had never owned a ground pad before, but I knew I'd need one for that night.

As I mentioned above, I didn't really select this pad. It was presented to me as a comfortable, versatile option for multi-season camping. At 2 inches thick, it's overkill for most 3-season situations, but I'm a big guy and wanted to have something thick enough to support me on my side. I also needed thermal protection from a ground that was home to an inch of snow just the evening before.

It performed both tasks marvelously.

It gets dinged a half point simply for the inconveniences of a self-inflating sleeping pad. It must be stored inflated, which means it takes up a lot of space at home and must be sequestered from pets with curious teeth and claws. It also takes a bit of time and effort to deflate when striking camp. A small price to pay. If you're not so heavy, the 1.5" model will save you time, weight, and money.

Wow, my new Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Wow, my new Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad has gone bad. I started to use my Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad on 2-20-2018 and on 2-18-2018 is when I put air in my sleeping pad. On 3-3-2018 my sleeping pad went pop pop pop at the head near the valve.

Pros

• Easy to inflate

Cons

• Hard to pack in stuff bag
  • Stuff bag too small

Wow, my new Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad has gone bad.

I started to use my new Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad on 2-20-2018.

My Big Agnes Two Track sleeping pad/Big Agnes Third Degree foam sleeping pad

28468450_2090460711235433_77576764132723
28661091_2090460757902095_11311331595292
28576596_2090460614568776_75240279503938
Wow, my new Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad (regular rectangular 72x20x2) failed after putting in some air tonight at my spot before I put in my Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bag (2012).

I was hearing pop pop pop sounds and I looked around. I didn't know what it was. All of a sudden my sleeping pad just moved where I was just sitting there waiting for my Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bag. It went pop pop pop at the head near the valve.

I am going to email and call campsaver.com and see if they can send me a free shipping label so I can exchange it for a Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp sleeping pad (regular rectangular 72x20x2).

I am really glad that I was not on my bicycle touring trip on the Southern Tier bicycle route from Tampa, Florida, to San Diego, California, in the middle of nowhere, 300 miles from anywhere.

I have been using Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads pad since 1996 and never had a problem.

Tag in the stuff sack says 12-2016.

I will not recommend this sleeping pad.

Please when someone is posting on a problem with backpacking gear and bicycle touring gear or bicycle parts don't joke about it. Yesterday my Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad regular rectangular 72x20x2 started to pop pop pop after putting air in the sleeping pad! And it made a big bubble on both sides of the Big Agnes Two Track Core sleeping pad (regular rectangular 72x20x2).

I have emailed both of them Campsaver and Big Agnes. And I called Campsaver on. 3-5-2018

Lori Pontious

And if you contact Big Agnes they will send a new one. One of the things about gear that I have finally concluded - there will never be a piece of gear that is eternal - they all wear out eventually. Exped, Big Agnes, NeoAir - I've had them all, they all do something like this, but I send them in and they are fixed or replaced. Because to not have inflatable pads would mean hip pain - foam doesn't cut it for me. So I recommend to anyone any pad that gets you out there, and further recommend contacting the manufacturer, which usually repairs for a reasonable fee, or replaces under warranty.

Hi Timothy, Have you tried contacting Big Agnes for customer service? https://support.bigagnes.com/hc/en-us They state: "100% Guarantee
Our top priority is to provide customer service as stellar as the award-winning products we create. If one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, contact our customer service team and we'll help you find gear that fits your needs." Good luck!

Timothy Schneider

I have very good news from Campsaver.com/

I was able to get a Free UPS Shipping lable
For my Big Agnes Two Track Core Sleeping Pad regular Rectangular 72x20x2 that started to pop pop pop pop after putting in Air with a Big Bubble

I have request a full refund for the defective
Big Agnes Two Track Core Sleeping Pad and I am going to be ordering the Thermarest Base Camp Sleeping Pad regular Rectangular 72x20x2

Good luck with the new pad, Timothy!

Timothy Schneider

Thanks Alicia MacLeay: I have been using Thermarest Sleeping Pads since 1996 and I am going stay using them for now one. and I don't really care heavy the Sleeping pad is.

Sounds good, Timothy!