Big Agnes Two Track

The best pad, period. Just attach it under the lid…

Price Paid: around $60

The best pad, period. Just attach it under the lid at the top of you pack, and you are good to go.

• Very well made
  • Easy to inflate
  • 1.5 inch model rated to 0 degrees
  • 2.0 inch model rated to minus 25 degrees

• Will have to help inflate if stored compressed

A pad that keeps you warm down to 0 (1.5") or -25 (2.0") degrees. Comes with a repair kit in the stuff sack. Will need to blow a bit of air into the pad after it self inflates, especially if you've stored it in it's stuff sack.

Unlike other air pads, you will not feel like you're balanced on a pool float.

I have the 1.5 inch model, and it is very trust worthy. I've had it for years, and have never had even the smallest leak. I store it rolled in its stuff sack (I don't have the space to store it inflated). I just inflate it at home for a couple of days prior to back country use, to make sure it isn't leaking, and to make subsequent inflation easier.

Used it recently in sub 40 degree weather, and had a Lafuma 35-degree bag zipped around my feet and then unzipped and draped over my body and I was very comfortable.

I have other pads: the Big Agnes Air Core SL, a summer pad, the Thermarest Backpacker Lite, 1" ultra light, and the closed cell RidgeRest. I find unless it is going to be warm when I camp, this is the pad I want to carry.

To pack down to its smallest size after deflating, open valve and roll from end. When fully rolled up, close the valve. Unfurl the pad. With valve still closed roll up again. When you reach the nearly fully rolled point, open the valve, squeeze out the excess air and close the valve.

The valve is brass and plastic. I use a q-tip sprayed with WD-40 to oil the brass threads every year or so.

Welcome to Trailspace, John!

This review is for the 2" thick model. It comes complete…

Price Paid: $83 + local sales tax

This review is for the 2" thick model. It comes complete with a compression sack and field patch kit.

Let me begin by saying that I received some wonderful instruction on sleeping pads and this pad specifically from the expert at my local outfitter. I'm convinced that he has just as much to do with this positive rating as does the gear, because he ensured that I had the proper piece of gear for the intended application. If the person from which you buy your gear typically knows less than you, it may serve you well to shop elsewhere.

I'm writing this after coming home from an early Spring excursion. After a pleasantly warm last two weeks of March, our long-planned overnight trip would come on the second of of two consecutive sub-freezing nights. I had never owned a ground pad before, but I knew I'd need one for that night.

As I mentioned above, I didn't really select this pad. It was presented to me as a comfortable, versatile option for multi-season camping. At 2 inches thick, it's overkill for most 3-season situations, but I'm a big guy and wanted to have something thick enough to support me on my side. I also needed thermal protection from a ground that was home to an inch of snow just the evening before.

It performed both tasks marvelously.

It gets dinged a half point simply for the inconveniences of a self-inflating sleeping pad. It must be stored inflated, which means it takes up a lot of space at home and must be sequestered from pets with curious teeth and claws. It also takes a bit of time and effort to deflate when striking camp. A small price to pay. If you're not so heavy, the 1.5" model will save you time, weight, and money.

Big Agnes Two Track

The Big Agnes Two Track is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 7, 2016 at

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review