Big Agnes Two Track

This review is for the 2" thick model. It comes complete…

Price Paid: $83 + local sales tax

This review is for the 2" thick model. It comes complete with a compression sack and field patch kit.

Let me begin by saying that I received some wonderful instruction on sleeping pads and this pad specifically from the expert at my local outfitter. I'm convinced that he has just as much to do with this positive rating as does the gear, because he ensured that I had the proper piece of gear for the intended application. If the person from which you buy your gear typically knows less than you, it may serve you well to shop elsewhere.

I'm writing this after coming home from an early Spring excursion. After a pleasantly warm last two weeks of March, our long-planned overnight trip would come on the second of of two consecutive sub-freezing nights. I had never owned a ground pad before, but I knew I'd need one for that night.

As I mentioned above, I didn't really select this pad. It was presented to me as a comfortable, versatile option for multi-season camping. At 2 inches thick, it's overkill for most 3-season situations, but I'm a big guy and wanted to have something thick enough to support me on my side. I also needed thermal protection from a ground that was home to an inch of snow just the evening before.

It performed both tasks marvelously.

It gets dinged a half point simply for the inconveniences of a self-inflating sleeping pad. It must be stored inflated, which means it takes up a lot of space at home and must be sequestered from pets with curious teeth and claws. It also takes a bit of time and effort to deflate when striking camp. A small price to pay. If you're not so heavy, the 1.5" model will save you time, weight, and money.