BlueWater Ropes Rescue 8

Strength 22 kN
Weight 210 g
Length 6.5 in
Width 6 in

A must-have item for folks on rope! I work with two…

Price Paid: retail

Summary

A must-have item for folks on rope!

Pros

• "Ears" prevent girth hitches
  • Large enough to use with gloves on

Cons

• Heavier/bulkier than smaller models

I work with two of these. The first is in my personal climbing bag, for use in my caving activities. The second is in the "Rescue Bag" on the high ropes challenge course I manage in central Illinois.

The primary advantage of a "Rescue 8" over a smaller Figure 8 are the protruding "ears" on each side. These ears prevent an unexpected girth hitch from occurring in the middle of a rescue. The large opening also also for an extra turn of the rope, when you need to support/lower 2 full grown adults.

In my program, we hook the 8 onto the belay cable, above the victim. The working end is attached to the victim; the running end is dropped to a ground belayer, who uses a belay tube (ATC) for added friction.

I've trained dozens of high ropes facilitators on emergency rescue take downs, and I wouldn't stock a rescue bag without this item in it.

DSCN0327.jpg

FromSagetoSnow

My friend who does rescue still swears by these. We sport climbers just use an ATC

1 year ago

Sure, ATC's are definitely suited for a different application. Cavers tend to use Rappel Racks, which are better on wet, gritty rope.

1 year ago