BOS Hammocks Single Camping Hammock

Well-made hammock. Easy to set up and comfortable…

Summary

Well-made hammock. Easy to set up and comfortable to sleep in.

Pros

• Small and Lightweight
  • Easy to set up

Cons

• Not everyone is comfortable in a hammock
  • Needs extra insulation in colder weather

After using another hammock I bought back in 2014 I decided it was time to upgrade a bit. I found this hammock online for $23.99.

I already have a pair of tree straps, but you could use a thick rope to wrap around a tree (just protect the bark, Leave No Trace style). The tree straps are about 12 feet long and have a multiple loops on either for an adjustable hang. This makes it rather simple to set up the hammock and easy to adjust if needed.

The hammock material is a durable lightweight nylon parachute style material, but I am not worried about strength, it seems well constructed, the stitching is strong, and I see no defects. I weigh about 200 lbs and have used this hammock several times with no worries.

The entire hammock packs down to a small size and fits into the pouch that is sewn onto the side of the hammock.

Even though this is considered a "single" hammock there is still quite a bit of fabric. I have found that I could almost wrap myself completely inside the hammock like a burrito with all the excess fabric. In fact in warmer weather that is my only complaint because it does tend to wrap up around me and I don't get as much of a breeze as I would like.

I have used this hammock in addition to a Kelty Tarp and an insect net and it worked great for sleeping out overnight. I love how comfortable it is compared to sleeping on the ground.

If you plan on sleeping in it in colder weather make sure you bring a roll up pad to put underneath you as there is no insulation and the sleeping bag insulation gets compressed.

I have actually created a sort of hammock quilt out of an old rectangle sleeping back that I use on car camping trips in the colder weather. I put the quilt around the hammock on the outside and then set up my regular mummy bag inside. It works great! In fact last January I slept outside overnight when the temps were in the teens and I was nice and toasty.

IMG_20170520_124302905.jpg

Thanks for sharing the first review of this hammock, GCap48.