Brooks-Range All-In-One Map Tool Pro

I admit, most of the time, while in the U.S., I end…

I admit, most of the time, while in the U.S., I end up leaving this tool at home. I like to use it for trip planning as it is really handy for many aspects of the planning process. But once I am in the field, I can usually look around and glance at the map to sort out most everything I need to know.

But this tool really becomes useful while traveling. This August and September while traveling in Chile and Argentina, I used a huge variety of maps - of a wide range of qualities. Sometimes, it is just tough to paint the picture in your head. If you're used to looking at 15-minute maps, or 1:25000 scale, then ending up with some goofy scale with 80-meter contour intervals is really weird.

The All-in-One Map tool brings all maps to life. It's sort of like adding a third dimension. It is helpful when you're improvising in the field - lost, wandering, or rescuing. It weighs nothing, is really tough, and helpful in more ways than you can imagine.

Oh yeah, it's cheap. Get it.