Brooks-Range Scientist 35 Folding Snow Saw

Dimensions
Blade - 13.8 inches (35 centimeters)
Full length - 17.5 inches (44 centimeters)
Folded - 9.75 inches (25 centimeters)

I feel like I could write a spoof of Goldilocks and…

I feel like I could write a spoof of Goldilocks and the Three Bears using snow saws instead of porridge. This one's too heavy; this one's too small; this one's too weak...

But I seem to have found one that is just right. The Brooks Range Scientist 35 is no my go-to saw.

My favorite feature of the saw is that it folds. This gives me a full-sized saw, yet it stows in the pack nicely. I really like this because I don't use a saw on every trip, but when I need it, I want it to work. I actually use its case to carry nearly my entire snow science kit - density gauge, crystal card, thermometers, notebook, loupe, etc. It's a pretty small package.

The downside of the folding feature is that you more than likely have to take your glove off to close it. But, it only takes a second.

The saw is rigid enough to cut straight throw dense snow. You probably wouldn't consider this, until you use a flimsy saw. I point this out, because in photos it looks a lot like those flimsy saws. But it's not. It's made from high-quality, American steel, and will get the job done.

For cutting larger blocks and columns, the saw can be attached to a ski pole by using a ski strap. While this is less-elegant than some other systems, it is more versatile. You can use any pole. This is nice.

Lastly, the saw is laser-etched with a grid so it can be used as a crystal card. This is pretty great because you can just use the saw to pull out grains at suspicious layers - fast!

I see that as I write this review, it's listed at over retail price. Why not by it directly from Brooks Range?

The Scientist 35 has a blade length of 35 centimeters and a total length of approximately 17.5 inches (44 centimeters). When folded, the length is reduced to 9.75 inches (25 centimeters) long.

The handles of the saw can be connected to the Brooks-Range Backcountry Shovel shaft as well as telescoping ski poles to increase the reach.

The Brooks-Range Scientist Folding Saws are available in right-handed and left-handed versions.

Visit Brooks-Range's Scientist 35 Folding Snow Saw page.

Brooks-Range scientist snow saws come with a thin kerf on the teeth to leave a smooth finish. Perfect for aspiring and professional snow scientists who need a clean cut so variations in the snowpack arent obscured by a rough finish.Made of stainless steel for strength and durability, this saw folds down from almost 18-inches to only ten. Imperial and metric rulers are etched on either side along with snow crystal identification grids in1mm, 2mm, and 3mm patterns. With a pair of our polyurethane ski straps you can attach this blade to our shovel shafts or ski poles to extend its reach.Available in right- and left-handed versions.

- CampSaver.com

Usually the excuse for carrying a snow saw is that it's too long to fit in a pack, and too heavy to be manageable. The Brooks-Range Scientist 35 Folding Snow Saw crushes both excuses with it's compact, lightweight design. Brooks didn't sacrifice build strength or design to make this saw such an ease, either; it's just as strong and versatile as fixed blades.

Conduct a snow study, cut a snow cave and more with the Scientist Folding Snow Saw from Brooks Range. This handy folding saw provides precise cuts in a series of materials from ice and snow to wood with its tempered stainless steel blade and folds down small for easy packing. A rubber coating on the handle protects your hands.

- Mountain Gear