Brooks-Range Ultralite Solo Tarp

This tarp does not hold up, and does not keep a single…

Summary

This tarp does not hold up, and does not keep a single word promised in the information from Brooks-Range.

Pros

• None!

Cons

• The tarp is not water-proof at all!
  • Small for 1 person.
  • Velcro will tangle with the attached lines.

I have had this tarp for 2 years. I've only used it twice. Once on one winter hike to cover up the lean-to, and once on a hike in the Whites in the month of August. I was using it in combination with my Rab eVent bivy that I normally only use during the winter. The tarp is very small for 1 person and it can only just be done under perfect conditions. I was setting camp at the Liberty Springs campsite on the Franconia ridge. It was a wet night but I thought I'd be okay.

This tarp is as water-proof as a cotton jersey! The water is penetrating right through the tarp. I've since checked on the Brooks-Range website where they have a review stating they the fabric is waterproof, and they state themselves that its waterproof up to 1 lb per square inch.

From my point of view, it should be illegal to make such statements for outdoor equipment! I made it through the night but everything was soaked. I knew this already when I went to bed, because the rain was raining on me through the tarp!!

Visit Brooks-Range's Ultralite Solo Tarp page.

The Brooks-Range Solo Tarp is a rectangular tarp made from BR's Ultralight water-resistant, ripstop nylon. It is incredibly strong and resilient for its spartan weight! At around 7 oz. it is light enough to take on all trips.

- CampSaver.com

CLOSEOUTS . The versatile Brooks Range Ultralite Solo Tarp shelter is perfect for ultralight solo outings or as an additional shelter for multi-person trips. Made of water-resistant ripstop nylon, the 16 nylon loops allow you to erect it in a variety of configurations Available Colors: RED.

- Sierra Trading Post