Clark North American

Packing Weight 3 lb 2 oz / 1.41 kg
Packing Size 15 x 8 x 5 in. / 38 x 20 x 13 cm
Safety/Comfort Weight Limit 250 lb / 113 kg
Maximum Weight Limit 700 lb / 318 kg

One of the most important parts of any outdoor excursion…

Source: bought it used

Summary

One of the most important parts of any outdoor excursion is getting a good night's sleep. The Clark North American hammock is worth its weight in gold when it comes to knowing you'll be high and dry or toasty warm and out of the wind. The built-in bug netting and weather shield make it nearly impervious to foul weather, and that's before adding the included efficient, form-fitting tarp designed for jungle use.

For anyone thinking of buying one of the better, high-end hammocks, consider any Clark hammock models to fit your needs. They pack well and you won't have any buyer's remorse.

Pros

• The Clark North American hammock is as tough as nails.
  • Weather-proof, and better still, mosquito-proof.

Cons

• None

100_3870.jpg

The Clark North American Jungle Hammock I own was purchased used, and I've owned this hammock for two years. I have never been more satisfied with a purchase of outdoor equipment than I have been with my Clark hammock.

This hammock has provided everything I had hoped for and more. The tarp included with the hammock is excellent for its intended use in the jungle or heavy brush, as it offers a narrow profile and adequate shelter from foul weather of all kinds in hot or cold climates. Since the camping I do is in the United States (id est, no jungles), I switched the efficient Clark tarp for a large Hennessy Hammock Asym Hex Fly tarp to provide added shelter and breathing room.

100_3857.jpg
At each end, a sturdy Black Diamond carabiner attached to the provided tree straps clasps two rappel rings, through which climbing rope is threaded for quick and easy setup. The climbing rope replaced the poly rope that came with the hammock as a matter of personal preference. Using this method, hanging the hammock takes less than two minutes. Hook up the cords to an independent line between your trees to hold the bug net and weather shield overhead and you're finished setting up.

After a day of wearing a pack on one's back, hammock camping allows a body to have its vertebrae stretched out, something it seems only a hammock can do and something it does well. Since I started camping with the Clark North American Jungle Hammock, it caused me to put away my Moss Olympic tent. It's that good for me.

Weathering storms and other cloudbursts is no trouble for a Clark North American Jungle hammock, which excels at keeping out foul weather using only its own weather shield. Any tarp added above it — whether the Clark tarp or not — only makes the experience of sitting in a mountain storm more pleasant and dry.

100_3885.jpg
Anyone considering the purchase of a replacement hammock, a tent alternative, or their first hammock, by all means ought to include the Clark Hammock Company in their research. Whether new or used, the cost is well worth the value of the product.

100_3894.jpg

Thanks for sharing your review, TigerFang.

Nice pictures, TigerFang! This is an excellent first review.

Merci beaucoup!

dirtwheels

Thanks for the review, always good to read about alternatives for a good nights rest while backpacking.

Thanks!

Love the NA. The con is the price. Wish I could buy one.

TigerFang

Thanks, Goose! Think of it this way, as I do, it's the last hammock you'll ever need.

What a great product! I'm 6' 1" and have plenty of…

Summary

What a great product! I'm 6' 1" and have plenty of room, used it in a spring rainstorm in Oregon and me and my gear stayed dry. Highly recommend Clark hammock!

Pros

• Dry
  • Light
  • Stable

Cons

• None

No more sleeping on the ground for me, or sharing tight quarters with my huntin buddies. Sets up easy and really stable. I often hunt during the rainy season and you need to keep your weapon and backpack dry, I have a bivy sack for my sleeping bag that I store my bigger gear in.

If you are considering a hammock tent Clark is a good one!

My buddy hangs in one of these. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was a bit cheaper.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Welcome to Trailspace, Shane! Thanks for the review. I'd love to see some pictures of your Clark hammock. I've never actually seen one before other than on their website.

Let's get the bad out of the way. It is narrow (the…

Let's get the bad out of the way. It is narrow (the Clark North American) and claustrophobic. The netting does not allow much in the way of a breeze in and the tarp is just big enough.

The good, the pockets are great for storage and it's warm in temps in the 30's without using a quilt. The workmanship is incredible.

The Clark Jungle Hammock North American model is the…

Design: Four-season Clark North American Model
Ease of Setup: takes two minutes. Just learn the knot.
Weight: 3.4 lbs.

Summary

The Clark Jungle Hammock North American model is the best piece of gear I own. I can sleep on my side.

I gave up on the Hennessy Hammock because I couldn't stay dry. The Hennessy looked cool but wasn't designed for real weather. The Clark keeps me perfectly dry and has pockets for gear plus other features like zip-up netting on both sides. You definitely get what you pay for. I love it.

I would recommend this to all people backpacking in…

Summary

I would recommend this to all people backpacking in harsh conditions. I got the standard sized tarp, but would recommend a larger tarp to stake out for cooking and such.

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Quick teardown
  • Very dry
  • Warm

Cons

• Can't cook in it
  • Heavy for a hammock

I have used this in 70 to below 30 degree weather. I have found it warm, dry, and comfortable in all conditions.

I would like to know how well it works on the ground, and have heard you can set it up that way.

I pack my sleeping bag inside the hammock for drier set up and quicker set up. This is the easiest hammock I have had to set up and take down.

Clark makes good stuff. I agree on the smaller tarp size, but I like that it's an integrated set up.

After contracting a spinal diease I thought my camping…

Summary

After contracting a spinal diease I thought my camping days were over...the Clark North American Hammock changed my life and gave the woods back to me. A perfectly designed piece of 4-season equipment.

Pros

• Quality
  • Design

Cons

• I haven't found one.

My North American Hammock is the Real Deal! It is truly a 4-season piece of equipment. I tried several other hammocks before I decided on this model. I cannot say enough good things about it.

I suffer from a spinal disease and ground camping is out of the question. I can put an inflatable twin mattress in my Clark and sleep as good as I do on my Select Comfort @ home. It's changed my life bringing me back to the woods after I thought my days of sleep out were over. The quality is bullet proof.

Clark North American

The Clark North American is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hammock, check out the best reviewed current models.