Cloudveil RPK Jacket

The Cloudveil RPK is a softshell jacket. It was the…

The Cloudveil RPK is a softshell jacket. It was the company's use of softshell that attracted me to the RPK jacket. Out of the box, the RPK is a totally quality product, exactly what I would expect from Cloudveil. The fabric is sturdy and somewhat stiff. It’s a moderate weight that’s appropriate for alpine skiing in all but the harshest conditions.

The RPK has plenty of pockets, both exterior and interior, including lined handwarmers, napoleon, and a mesh goggle pocket on the interior. The hood zips off and is helmet compatible. The pit zips adjust from either direction for exceptional control of cooling. There’s also a powder skirt which doesn’t zip out. On the upper sleeve is a cool little pocket with a built in bungy for holding your ski pass.

The fit is good. There’s plenty of room underneath for layering – including a puffy should you need it – without feeling bulky. The RPK is lined with a micro fleece so it does tend to grab hold of certain fabrics causing them to bind up when putting the jacket on.

Overall, it's a great jacket for the slopes, cool weather hiking and camping. It’s got all the features you need and a few more.

You can find a full review and photos at my blog GearGuide.

I just got a sweet deal on this jacket and since I've…

I just got a sweet deal on this jacket and since I've been looking for a snowboarding jacket I went for it. I have been an Arc'teryx user for a while now and wanted to put to rest my older Sidewinder and was saving for an Alpha SV or a Westcomb Mirage.

So last week I happen to go to my local TJ Maxx looking for some socks for my son when suddenly I found the RPK. It is the '07 model but it is sweet, it does look pretty well put together and construction is top notch and for the price I paid I could not be happier.

As for the other reviewer, time will tell if it survives the season.

This jacket seemed absolutely amazing. The fit was…

Fabric: Gore-tex with poorly glued outer fabric

This jacket seemed absolutely amazing. The fit was great, the style was great. The second time I wore it the zipper broke and the material on the sleeve starting peeling off (coming unglued). I called Cloudveil, got an ra# and sent it in for repairs or, hopefully, replacement. 3 weeks later I got a call saying they would fix the zipper but the sleeve peeling was "not their problem". After several calls and emails to Cloudveil customer service, I finally got a customer service manager who told me, and i quote, "We never like to lose customer support, but life goes on". I would never buy a Cloudveil product again, ever.

Great snow sport jacket. This is a nearly perfect…

The author of this review is affiliated with Gore for product testing and review.

Great snow sport jacket.

• Waterproof and breathable
  • Pockets

This is a nearly perfect jacket for snowsports. The Gore-Tex softshell fabric is comfortable and extremely durable. I have never gotten wet even in wet snowstorms or spring slop. I couldn't ask for any more pockets. They are perfectly placed to work with a pack.

The only item that might be considered a negative is the powder skirt isn't removable. This would make it a little more versatile as an everyday jacket.

As a disclaimer, I am affiliated with Gore for product testing of Gore-tex products for the purpose of product review and recommendation. I do receive items from Gore for these purposes.

Cloudveil Men's RPK Jacket

The Cloudveil Men's RPK Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 1, 2011 at Tahoe Mountain Sports.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.