Cocoon Hyperlite Pillow

This pillow is incredibly lightweight and compact.

Source: bought it used

Summary

This pillow is incredibly lightweight and compact. It compacts to tennis ball size with little effort. I can recommend it especially to ultralight backpackers at 2.4oz.

Pros

• Compact
  • Satiny fabric

Cons

• Not as comfortable as my pillows at home?

This pillow is incredibly lightweight and compact. The surface fabric is a micro-ripstop nylon material that feels very nice and satiny to me. Some may not care for that texture on a pillow face though.

It compacts to tennis ball size easily. I can recommend it especially to ultralight backpackers at 2.4oz.

Also, a tip: Don't fully inflate it. Otherwise, you'll feel like your head is on a tightly filled ziplock bag.

I was hopeful that this item would surpass my current…

I was hopeful that this item would surpass my current Therm-a-rest compressible pillow with its ability to maintain loft over the night. However, I was disappointed after its maiden trip as I ended up fidgeting with the air volume off and on over the night before giving up and using my jacket.

The pillow does have its pros: easy to inflate/deflate, compacts easily (really is the size of a yogurt container), maintains warmth despite having an air core, light weight, does not slip around in the sleeping bag, and can be flipped over to sleep on the nylon side if you prefer a cooler pillow.

Cons: It is difficult to find the perfect air volume so I suggest playing with it a while before bedtime, could stand to be a little longer, and definately difficult to use if you are a side sleeper as the air never settles in the correct place given that it is one bladder.

Overall: I will be keeping the pillow as it would be great for use in the car or on long trips for head or lumbar support but I think I will be switching back to my Thermarest Pillow for backpacking eventhough it takes up more room. After all a good night's sleep on the trail is priceless.