Cold Cold World Chernobyl

small regular
Weight 3 lb 4 oz / 1500 g (regular)
Capacity 2600 cu in / 43 L 3000 cu in / 49 L
Torso length 14-16 in / 36-41 cm 18-21 in / 46-53 cm

Great no frills 1-2 day alpine pack. So I love to…

Price Paid: $180-ish

Summary

Great no frills 1-2 day alpine pack.

Pros

• Simplicity
  • Nifty buckle system for ice tools/axe
  • Crampon buckles

Cons

• A bit shy of padding on the shoulder straps

So I love to try out small business gear and off brand stuff. I decided after hearing about CCW online from a few East Coasters to call up Randy at CCW. Super friendly and very easy to do business with. I wanted a Chernobyl based on cubic inches of my last pack. After a few days the pack showed up well packed.

My first impression of the pull up style adjustment for the shoulder pads was a bit odd and took some getting used to. After two years I really like the pull up adjustment now; just pull the straps and the weight of the bag gives a perfect tightness every time.

Top pouch fits really well on the pack. The elastic trim make sure that nothing shifts at the wrong time. The pockets are well thought out. The bottom of the top pouch has a map and other small item pocket for things that need to be kept dry.

The main pack does not have a frame but a heavy pad that can be used as a bivy cushion. Pro is that is you get a really lightweight pack. Con (kind of) you need to plan a bit when packing so your cargo "makes the frame".

On the exterior there are two buckles that hold the handle of ice tools or axe, the blade of the tools has a reinforced sleeve that the head of the tool/axe slid in to. Simple and hold your gear well.

I decided I wanted a crampon pouch, it's sewn in the middle of the pack with heavy fabric and drain holes, that was an add-on I asked for.

My only grip is that when geared up for a 2-day trek, the amount of gear and such for winter climbing and camping is heavy. The shoulder pads are a bit thin. I find this to be more of an issue on warm days when Im not wearing many layers. Cold days when I’m padded up it's not a problem.

I have only had this pack since 2010, but ice climbing and alpining is hard on any pack due to all the sharp pieces of gear. My Chernobyl has held up well.

I would say for the money, it's an incredible pack. I highly recommend.

FromSagetoSnow

Thanks for the review, like you I like to hear from smaller manufacturers.

rob5073

I have the Chernobyl as well. Besides winter use, I'll use it as a day pack during cooler temps because it is a light pack.

Cold Cold World Chernobyl

The Cold Cold World Chernobyl is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.