Coleman Peak 1 Feather 400

A bit on the heavy side, but a bomb-proof reliable…

Price Paid: No idea, it was 25 years ago

Summary

A bit on the heavy side, but a bomb-proof reliable backpacking stove.

Pros

• Well built
  • Bomb proof
  • 20 plus years hassle free

Cons

• Heavy, 2 pounds with fuel
  • Parts hard to find now
  • No longer made

image.jpg

Other than the weight, this stove is a dream. It isn't made anymore, but they do make newer versions. I have used this stove trouble free since 1991. It has been on countless backpacking, cycling, and kayak trips, some as long as 14 days (one bike trip to California was actually 2 months of daily use). I don't mind carrying a bit more weight considering how reliable this is.

My stove is always kept in a padded bag, and a plastic bag to keep debris out of it. Even using a wind screen I have never had a boil over.

I have lost track of how many times my friends with other stoves had to borrow mine when we were out because theirs stopped working. Knock on wood mine never has given me a single problem.

This stove has three foldout feet and despite the height is very stable. I do always remove the pot before I pump it up. A wind screen is recommended, however when mine died the stove worked, but took longer to boil for sure.

One of the best things is how well this stove simmers. I like to eat well when hiking and I appreciate the flexibility simmering gives me. Getting the stove to simmer after it has be run on full is a bit finicky, as there is a tendency to turn the lever slightly to far.

I bought the maintenance kit when I bought the stove and have never opened it.

I love this stove so much I have recently sourced the now unavailable parts to repair this stove in the future if need be. I do not see myself needing a new stove any time soon. If I ever do replace this stove it will be with a newer version. The low weight of the MSR's may be nice to carry, but the difference in durability and long term reliability isn't worth the trade off to me.

A 3/4 full tank and a 1 litre fuel bottle is more than enough for a two-week hike, cooking 2 to 3 times a day. If always cooking three times a day it might be iffy.

At almost two pounds with fuel this stove is not for people interested in saving every ounce possible. However by the time you add the bottle to an MSR stove there isn't really a huge difference, unless you look at a pocket rocket or something similar.

A few tips:

• After simmering, burn the stove hot for a few minutes to clean out the generator
  • If your stove won't build pressure and oiling the pump tube doesn't work, remove the pump and inspect the cup. If it is a neoprene cup then hold it over hot steam for about 30 seconds and fold it out. Hold it that way until it cools and the pump cup will work again. A good field fix.
  • wiping the stove with a damp rag while it is still warm keeps it looking clean and shiney
  • I use a no spill fuel bottle cap and fillg only 3/4 have never had a fuel spill
  • Filling the stove 3/4 to 5/8 full produces a better flame.

i have found several of these stoves for sale on eBay.

Welcome to Trailspace, Mike! Glad to hear you've had 25 reliable years (and counting) with your Coleman stove. Got any pictures you could share in your review so we can see what yours looks like?

Nice review, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

DrPhun

If your stove won't build pressure, it could also be the o-ring on the cap for the fuel tank.

ronrude

I have had one for 33 years. Bomb proof. I just replaced the control and generator this last year. The control lever got too tight to move. It is the only fix Did two weeks in Yosemite in 1985. It didn't seem too heavy back then.

Mike aka Garage Sale

I don't mind the weight at all except perhaps on long trips. I just ordered a replacement pump cup, leather, first repair to my stove. However the stove still works with the old one it is just obviously time to replace it.

Martin Higgins

Hi Mike,

Martin Higgins

Hi Mike, sorry about typo above! Just found your review while trying to fix a pump problem on a virtually unused 1999 Feather 442 I picked up cheap due a to a pump problem. Your tip of holding the pump over steam has got it working. By the way I bought the Feather 442 as a replacement for my 1980 Peak 1 400 which I bought new but now retired due to rust caused by too much beach cooking. Superb stoves for serious cooking al fresco in windy conditions when hungry friends and family are getting grouchy and need their grub! Cheers

Mike aka Garage Sale

Glad it helped Martin.

Purchase new in the late eighties, still going strong.

Summary

Purchase new in the late eighties, still going strong.

Pros

• Bomb proof

Cons

• On the heavy side.
  • Doesn't look new and sleek.

peak-1.jpg
I know this stove isn't new gear, but it is still the only small stove that I own and still works great.  Believe me, I like the newest gear as much as the next, but if it ain't broke, why replace it.

So I bought my stove new in 1988.  To say the least, it was used hard and put away wet for about eight years.  After that it went into storage under the stairs at my parents' house.  After not being used for over a decade, I pulled it out fueled it up and started a fire, no problems.  I have since oiled the pump, that's it.

I will admit that this stove is heavier than most, however, the benefits far outweigh the cost in weight.  First and foremost is reliability.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never not had this stove work.  In cold conditions, it can be a bear to start, but it will start (one super cold morning years ago we actually built a small fire on top of it to warm up the generator).

Second is stability,  the foldout legs and low and heavy center of gravity make this thing nearly topple proof, unless it gets kicked over (I can neither confirm or deny that I have done this).  And the largest pots are at home on top.  If your cookwear has ridges on the bottom, they stick like glue.

I love this stove.  Some day I will most likely own another more modern and smaller white gas stove. But until my Peak 1 stops cooking reliably, there is no need.  Although, this model is no longer made by Coleman, they are still very readily available used, and sometimes new.

Coleman Peak 1 Feather 400

No price on record.

The Coleman Peak 1 Feather 400 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new liquid fuel stove, check out the best reviewed current models.