Coleman Peak 1 Stove

Still going strong after 38 years! Replaced with Coleman…

Summary

Still going strong after 38 years! Replaced with Coleman Compact Dual Fuel Stove Model 533.

Pros

• Longevity
  • Performance
  • Stability
  • Ruggedness
  • Dual fuel...even unleaded for your car!

Cons

• Easy of use lighting
  • Weight

I am sure this review applies to the new model as well...they are exactly the same except for the tank design. I think the newer wider base with no legs might be better.

As other reviewers of this same stove have commented "it's bomb proof". It is...read on:

I bought this in 1979. I used a few years and then stuck it in a shed, outside, half full of fuel in 1990. It has been in temperatures from 15°F to 110°F in the storage shed...in fact I suspect up to about 140 when it the shed is closed off in summer.

The storage bag deteriorated at some point since when I was cleaning out last year I found it and the bag had all but turned to dust. I took out the stove and turned on the fuel and heard some hiss...I pumped it up and lit it. Within 30 seconds it was running full blast 10,000BTUs! I boiled some water and then went to simmer...worked like a charm. It simmers great! The fuel was 30 years old!

So this stove is reliable and not finicky after no use for years.

I will ditto others that when it is cold and the tank is full the startup is tedious since there is no space in the tank for air pressure to build. So I recommend you use some lighter gel to get the tube hot when use in outdoors. I had no problems lighting this stove, other than time, at 10000ft winter camping at Fourth of July camping area when temp was well below zero and the inside of the tent had 1/4" of condensation ice!

Also, I after it warms up you need to give it a good pump up. These is needed again after a few minutes if the tank is half or more full.

The price of camping stove fuel is ridiculous these days but this will run on lead-free gas in the new model...maybe the old too?

This is how it looked new with the bag. I also posed  a picture of the model you can get at Amazon or Walmart and it is the same except for the tank.
peak_1.jpg51NHVYDHM7L.jpg

Thanks for sharing your Peak 1 experience, Michael. That's impressive that it worked just fine after sitting around for 30 years with fuel.

Older tech, bit bulky, but works like a champ. The…

Summary

Older tech, bit bulky, but works like a champ.

Pros

• Hot burner
  • Flame adjustability

Cons

• Bulky
  • Weight
  • Stability (top heavy)
  • Maintainance

The Coleman Peak 1 Backpacking Stove — bit bulky, bit heavy compared to most other white gas stoves (i.e., MSR WhisperLite). Totally big and heavy compared to any canister stove or ultra-light alcohol burner.

Does it work? Certainly. I've had mine since 1997. Gets going hot fast and has good flame adjustability. However, you do have to remember to oil the pump gaskets every 6 months or so, or else they'll dry up and then the stove won't pressurize.

Would I buy one again today new? Nope. Would I buy one at a yard sale for $10 or so? Sure. Good backup or additional car camping stove.

coleman-peak1-stove.jpg

Coleman Peak 1 Stove

The Coleman Peak 1 Stove is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new liquid fuel stove, check out the best reviewed current models.