Columbia Bug Me Not Cachalot

Provides perfect protection from the sun without being…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Sierra Trading Post)

Summary

Provides perfect protection from the sun without being obtrusive. Its folding bill and lightweight material make it easy to stow away. Flap can be tucked away and convert it to a "regular" hat.

Pros

• Folding bill and adjustable size
  • Insect resistance
  • UPF protection
  • Lighweight

Cons

• Why not just hat and bandanna?
  • Although adjustable, one size

Recently received this as a prize and I had my choice of several options; this hat was on my list. Typically when hiking I prefer wearing wider brimmed hats instead of lathering my neck, ears and my face with sunscreen. I've used the old tried-and-true hat with a bandanna.

Attributes

With 30 UPF protection and get material for wicking, this'll be part of my arsenal for a while. It is also supposed to be infused with Permethrin for insect resistance ("bug me not" name! also available in sprays generally lasting only 6 washes or 6 weeks). I cannot attest to its insect blocker material due to the weather in my area.

Over the next few months, I will update this review. According to the tag, the insect blocker lasts for 70 washes, pretty impressive, but it'll be a while before I can tell if this is true.

Insects which Columbia states can be repelled are ticks, ants, mosquitoes, flies, chiggers and midges.

This is one size fits all hat that has a drawcord in the back. I have a 22 1/2" (around size 7 hat) and it fits perfectly without any adjustment. See the picture below.

The bill is constructed of two pieces and bent in the middle so that it can be collapsible. I have easily fit it into my pocket. Other than that, the bill is made from typical plastic material. Below is a picture with the bill folded. The material is thin and lightweight so it can be easily folded. I can put it into my pocket no problem. It still may be a bit too big to put into a hip belt, but it could be possible.

The design of the neck flap is one of the more important factors to me. I've tried several on at the store and some are longer than others or perhaps even have an option to connect each side around the neck. The flap on this is a bit too short to do this, though for those creative folk, options could include buying a button snap and attach to each side.  Another possibility is to sew a drawcord and toggle to each side and tighten it to the neck.

Picture3.jpg

Quality/Construction

I wore this hat over the weekend while cleaning out some garden beds. The hat seemed to wick well and didn't overheat my head. I had a shirt and long sleeve, but eventually took the long sleeve off as it was on the warmer side because of working. No issues with the hat, not tight and is made of durable material while at the same time being light at 3.5oz and thin.

That actual hat and not neck flap has some water resistance, as much as any runners cap. The neck flap has the tendency to absorb water more, but as it isn't directly against your potential sweaty neck, shouldn't cause a problem. At that same time, if it is hotter, putting some water on the flap and having it rest against that back of your neck can be a great solution to overheating.

I also had a thought about this hat and how to make it convertible and it hasn't let me down. The neck flap material is thin enough that I can tuck it under the rest of the hat. It fits fine and isn't even noticeable (either visually or how it feels on my head).

Picture4.jpg

Alternatives

As I mentioned before, if this isn't for you, using a bandanna and tucking it into a hat works just fine. A benefit of this is that you have a hat AND a bandanna. It opens up more options than one hat. The final alternative is to have the homegrown option...a mullet. I think I'll pass.

Overall

From my experience so far I give it 5/5, but I cannot speak for its bug-me-not capabilities. As a result, I give it 4.5 overall, though I'll update as soon as I have a chance to try it in a heavier insect area.

G00SE

Nice review.

Daniel Oates

Thanks. I've been wearing this non stop for the past few weeks. The ability for it to fold and stick in your pocket has really got me hooked. Oddly enough, it came packaged to me in a flat envelope, strange but cool.

1 month ago
If you've owned or used a Columbia Bug Me Not Cachalot, please share your experience.

Columbia Bug Me Not Cachalot

The Columbia Bug Me Not Cachalot is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 11, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new sun hat, check out the best reviewed current models.