Columbia Schooner Bank Cachalot

I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay as much as I did…

Price Paid: NZ$30

I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay as much as I did for this hat, but in hindsight I'm glad I did. I carry it with me everywhere, even on weekdays during my walk to work and home again.

More importantly though, I wear this hat for most of the time that I spend hiking in New Zealand's back-country when it's not raining, and even sometimes when it is raining. I've found the general design to be practical. Although I tend to have skin that's sensitive to burning if I'm not careful, I've yet to have problems in areas that the hat covers, such as the top of my ears or the back of my neck. The item only comes in one size, but the elastic band inside is adjustable to fit large heads or small heads. I've occasionally adjusted this between trips for my own preference, simply to get a tighter or looser fit.

There are two other features that I've found to be particularly useful:

* The clip, which can be used to attach the hat to a collar, is of good quality. One problem I've had in the past, particularly when walking over hilltops, has been the possibility of sudden gusts of wind blowing hats away. I always attached this hat to something when wearing it, which only takes a second or two. Although it's often been blown off, I've never lost it as the clip has always held.

* The internal sweat-band, for me, is very effective. I tend to sweat a lot once I get going, and on the few occasions when I've been hiking without the hat, I've quickly noticed sweat dripping into my eyes. When wearing the hat, I've never experienced this problem.

It's not exactly designed as a fashion item, but it's very good for practicality, especially if you happen to spend a frequent windy places, and sweat a lot.

Stay protected and stay out longer in the Columbia Sportswear Omni Shade Schooner Bank II Cachalot Hat. This UPF hat offers cool, comfortable protection from the harsh rays of the sun.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

The wicking and extreme sun protection of Columbia's Schooner Bank II Cachalot will keep you cool and dry on those hot days. PRODUCT FEATURES: 100% Nylon; 100% Coolmax Polyester sweatband UPF 50 omni-shade, coolmax sweatband, quick dry Adjustable drawcord and toggle at back, cord and plastic security clip in back Machine washable

- Appalachian Outdoors refers to the men's version

Head out for the weekends big catch and protect yourself from the sun while you rack up your limit in the Columbia Schooner Bank Cachalot Hat. Pull the adjustable drawcord tight when the wind pick up across the water and the security clip ensures the Schooner Bank Cachalot Hat stays on no matter how hard the gale blows. The terry sweatband keeps you cool and collected on those blistering days on the water. And thanks to the Perfecta Plus SPF 30 fabric, your skin stays protected. Save your neck from the sun with the Columbia Schooner Bank Cachalot Hat's oversized back brim.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Keep a cool comfortable head with this hat that offers protection from the sun and rain. 100% nylon Perfecta Plus? Cloth. Omni-Shade UPF 30 rated pr...

- Ramsey Outdoor refers to the men's version

A great choice whether the day is wet and rainy or bright and sunny, this hat features a large visor and generous back flap. Made from quick-drying, lightweight, soft Perfecta Plus nylon. Moisture-wicking terry sweatband helps keep sweat out of your eyes. Six-panel design is flexible and comfortable on your head. Toggle adjustments at back allow customized fit.

- REI refers to the men's version

Columbia Schooner Bank Cachalot

The Schooner Bank Cachalot has been discontinued.

The Columbia Schooner Bank Cachalot is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 2, 2012 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new sun hat, check out the best reviewed current models.