Columbia Wallawalla 2 Mid Omni-Tech - Women's

These boots are soft and light. I recommend them for…

Price Paid: around $70 at an outlet

These boots are soft and light. I recommend them for straight distance hiking, especially for people with foot problems.

• Light
  • Comfy
  • Sole is pretty sticky for slab work
  • Basically waterproof, but breathable

• Funky feeling ankle - it happened to fit around my upper ankle, but many people don't like the binding feeling
  • Not the best protection for tender/injured feet

I have rheumatoid arthritis, with damage to the joints in my feet.  Because of this, I need boots that fit well, and do not pinch anywhere. I purchased these boots two days before a scheduled trip to climb some of the 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks, because my joints were swollen past the point of comfort for my usual boots.  I was highly pleased with the purchase.

The boots fit well, not pinching or binding in the toe box, yet not sliding around in the heel area.  I took a few walks on unfortunately level ground to try to break them in as much as possible, and it was enough - no issues, as they are basically soft boots anyway. I added Green Superfeet insoles to them, of course.  The final word on fit - NO BLISTERS.  Not one.

The shoe provides as much support as expected for a mid-rise sneakery-type boot.  A nice surprise was the vice-like grip around the top cuff of the boot - I could see where it would be infuriating if it did not fit exactly so, but they happened to fit me well.

This grip came in handy, as I hiked up Scarface, Ampersand, Algonquin and Wright peaks this past week, in the middle of a period of really, really wet weather.  The water resistance was perfect, and no mud or water penetrated the shoe itself - gaiters, however, would have been a plus.  The soles are not fantastically grippy, but got the job done - I was a little nervous on the slab sections, not being familiar with these boots, and the faces being wet, but aside from a few slips, they were fine.

I was very excited and happy about these boots, as finding comfortable and functional boots is a problem for me, considering my medical condition.  Did I mention NO BLISTERS?  Sadly, I am going to have to keep looking for the perfect boots, as I need a little more protection against knocking my feet against stones.  I was kinda clumsy even before the RA, and when my joints are acting up, tripping/kicking rocks is not the most fun thing to do.  For someone without these issues, however, these boots would be well-nigh perfect, in my opinion.

Columbia Women's Wallawalla 2 Mid Omni-Tech

The Columbia Women's Wallawalla 2 Mid Omni-Tech is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 24, 2013 at Altrec Outlet.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

MSR Evo Ascent Review

Gregory Baltoro 65 Review

The A.T. Guide (2016 Northbound) Review

Weegie Weekenders

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?