Current Designs Double Vision Tandem

Length 16 feet 8 inches (508 cm)
Width 28 inches (71.12 cm)
Weight 60 pounds (27 kg)
Max load 625 pounds (281.25 kg)

After paddling the boat for 3 years I can say that…

Summary

After paddling the boat for 3 years I can say that the boat is well made and it is very sable in extremely rough conditions. The seats are really comfortable and even though my wife has arthritis and I deal with lower back pain, we can spend several hours out on the water without much trouble.

We used to have two single kayaks, but we both paddle at different rates so someone was always waiting for the other person to catch up. With a tandem, you never have to wait for someone to catch up. If someone gets tired they can stop while the other keeps paddling, and the result is that you go a lot farther and faster than you do in single kayaks.

Pros

• Well made
  • Seats are REALLY comfortable
  • Very stable in rough conditions
  • Big cockpits so it is easy to get in and out
  • Light enough that one person can carry the boat by themselves

Cons

• Deck is a little low for my size 12 feet. Needs about 1" more of height
  • Straps on seat are a little difficult to adjust while underway.

We have owned a Double Vision for three years and have taken it out in all kinds of conditions. We paddle the boat in lakes, but mostly paddle the boat in the Delaware and Chesapeake bays. I have been amazed that no matter how rough the conditions are, the boat always remains REALLY stable.

We were out in the Delaware bay last year with 25-30 mile an hour winds with breaking white caps and the boat moved great through the waves and rough conditions. At no time did the boat ever feel tippy and we were able to paddle several miles up wind in some very rough conditions.

The boat works great for my wife and I because we both paddle at different paces but we always stay together in the tandem. I am 6'4" and my wife (who is 5'3") just can't paddle as fast as I can, but with the tandem it doesn't matter.

What has surprised me is that the power of two people in one boat is a lot faster than paddling by yourself. It doesn't feel like you are going fast (probably because you feel the weight of the other person in the boat), but yet we almost always pass people in the single kayaks — you just go a lot faster than they do.

There are only two things that I would change on the boat, that would make the boat perfect. First, the boat needs to be about 12" more length, especially up front. The person in the front seat gets a rather wet ride in rough conditions. We have controlled a lot of that by putting a life vest in the bungees up front which stops a lot of waves making it back to the cockpit. And second, the deck needs to be a little higher. Although the cockpits are very large, the deck height is a hair low making it a little tight for my size 12 feet, but it is not the end of the world.

I would definitely recommend this boat to anyone. it is so much easier loading and hauling around just one boat rather than two, and together you can go a lot longer distances in the boat than if you were paddling a single.

Would love to see a picture.

Nice review! I'd love to see pictures of you and your wife in the tandem too.

Having only used rental tandems in the past my wife…

Price Paid: $2,699

Having only used rental tandems in the past my wife and I decided to try one of our own. We also own two single boats, Swift Saranac Classics.

The first thing we noticed was the stability of the CD D Vision, just great. The rudder works well and can be lifted for shallow water cruising. I could actually stand in this boat to get out, not an easy trick for a 62 year old. Boat is not fast, but we don't care. Rudder works great and keeps the boat straight in rough water or helps turn in tight areas.

We like it so much we are going to buy a second so we can take both dogs with us on day trips, two labs and they love the front seat one at a time, so now we will be taking them both.

The Double Vision shares all the design, function and performance of the solo Visions in a kayak for two. Offering high levels of stability and tracking, this 16’ 8” boat will provide hours of paddling enjoyment for the whole family.

The Double Vision offers two generously sized keyhole cockpits that allow for easy and stable entry and exit, as well as extended foot room and increased storage capacity. As with the solo models, the Double Vision is constructed from a vacuum bagged composite of aramid and fiberglass, which allows for an unsurpassed combination of light weight, stiffness, toughness and value.

Made of tough rotomolded polyethylene, the Double Vision is a light touring tandem kayak offering great stability without sacrificing glide and performance. Generously sized "keyhole" cockpits are comfortable for large or small paddlers, and help keep water out. Bow and stern bulkheads and two hatches offer dry storage and built-in buoyancy for safety. Padded adjustable seats are designed for exceptional comfort, support and range of motion. The Swede hull design positions the widest part of the kayak slightly astern, providing a drier ride and faster acceleration. Narrow bow designed to punch through waves rather than ride over them. Equipped with a Current Designs foiled blade rudder, full deck rigging and perimeter lines. USA. Length 16'8". Width 28". Weight 92 lb. Cockpit size 35.25" x 17.25". Capacity 625 lb.

- L.L.Bean

The Current Designs Double Vision Roto tandem kayak is roomy and fun, and capable of hauling 625 lbs. worth of paddlers and gear. Shallow-V hull enhances tracking and offers friendly stability and a lively feel in the water; low decks minimize wind resistance. Swede-form construction enhances speed and maneuverability, and it allows bow to punch through waves instead of riding up and over them. Rotomolded polyethylene construction offers performance, responsiveness and rugged durability. Keyhole-shape cockpits are easy to enter and exit, and integrated foam thighbraces on interior coaming increase comfort when bracing or carving turns. Seat creates a natural, comfortable paddling position by tilting the entire seat pan up and away from cockpit floor. Use the lever-lock knob-it's similar to a quick-release fork on a bike wheel-to set the seat pan to the desired height. Locking mechanism prevents both side-to-side and up-and-down motion. To prevent numbness, seat pan features a contoured space for lower vertebrae and is covered with plush, nonabsorbent, very thick padding. Seat back moves up and down and back and forth, and it articulates to move with your paddling motion. Sliding bar adjusts foot pegs without having to get out and reach inside cockpit. Cockpit-deployable rudder enhances tracking in rough weather; use the foot pegs to direct the rudder and steer the kayak from the rear seat. Rudder lines are routed below deck to reduce clutter and protect lines from wear and tear. Rear hatch provides enough storage for an overnight trip and features an easy-to-use, rubberized hatch cover. Bow hatch features rubberized cover and an additional hard cover with straps to protect contents from splashes. Bulkheaded bow and stern hatches provide generous dry cargo storage during extended voyages and enhance flotation when hatches are sealed.