Dagger Katana 10.4

I purchased this boat for flexibility on small creeks,…

Price Paid: $1100 CAD

Summary

I purchased this boat for flexibility on small creeks, rivers, and some surf play as an alternate to my touring sea kayaks. I am very pleased with this boat. This boat is not a rec boat, yet is for an experienced kayaker.

Pros

• Cockpit outfitting
  • Turnability, even with the skeg down.
  • Adaptability

Cons

• Does not allow more vacation time
  • Sponging out filth under the seat is a difficult.

I live on a river where the flow varies day to day due to dams/flood control. Some days it is a grinder, others it is swift and dangerous. I purchased the Katana 10.4 as an alternative to the expedition touring kayaks that I have. Spoiled by the speed and tracking of a sea kayak, but also hemmed in by the length and mediocre small space turning, I ventured to try something smaller.

The Katana 10.4 has not disappointed. It tracks well, with a bit of wiggle and some plowing, but it stays on track. Even with the skeg down, I can bust a tight turn once the skeg breaks track, making up stream paddling straightforward and eddying out very easy. I have yet to get the boat into serious waves, but am not hesitant at all as the stability, and quick reaction of the boat will be fun to learn on more turbulent waters.

The rear hatch cover seals very well, without a fight to get it on. The cockpit is excellent. Stock rigging inside is better than I have experienced. Comfortable, secure, adjustable in many ways, and factory bungee lashing on the floor are welcome. It comes with a customizing foam kit too.

With the foot brace/wall removed, this boat can hold plenty of gear for a weekender. There is a fishing rod holder behind the cockpit. There is a small plastic grommet device at the front of the coaming, which I have no idea what it is for.

I am very pleased with this boat and would recommend it. I am keen to try this boat in many water environments to come!

Welcome to Trailspace, Rick! You just taught me a new word today: "coaming." Thank you! I'd love to see some pictures of your kayak in action, if you're willing to add them.