Weight 2 lb 15 oz / 1320 g
Capacity 2440 cu in / 40 L
Size 25 in x 12 in x 10 in / 64 cm x 30 cm x 26 cm
Material Deuter-Ballistic / Deuter-Ripstop 210

A great backpack to get the kids excited to get outside…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: $80 pro deal, shipped

Summary

A great backpack to get the kids excited to get outside and explore a little more, and let them carry a little more gear on our backpacking trips. Shoulder straps have a large range of adjustability to fit many different torso lengths.

Pros

• Adjustable

Cons

• Lid doesn't detach
  • Side pockets billow in, don't expand out

I recently purchased the Deuter Fox 40 so my kids can shoulder more of the weight on our upcoming backpacking trip. My three older kids (ages 5, 7, and 9) were excited to see it and took turns trying it on. They all felt it fit great, though I did have to cinch the waist belt all the way tight to fit on two of the three. The shoulder straps were easy to adjust the length of the torso. At its largest size, it even fit my wife (5'3").

I added about 12 pounds of gear and all three kids still enjoyed running around in the house with it on. So, we took it outside for a 1+ mile walk around the neighborhood, with the two older kids taking turns carrying it around. Neither of them complained of the weight and both said it was comfortable, even though I didn't do a great job of properly packing it to evenly distribute the weight.

The side compression straps did a great job of keeping everything snug, even with only using about 30-40% of capacity.

I knew prior to purchase that the top lid was not removable to double as a small daypack/fanny pack. Not a deal breaker, just would have made this pack that much better.

Also, there is a side pocket on each side. I was a bit disappointed to see that these pockets don't really add any capacity to the bag. By that I mean that they don't really expand outward, but rather into the pack. Thus, if you load the side pockets first, they take up capacity from the main interior pocket, and if you load them up last, they probably won't hold much.

We have not yet had the chance to take this out on a backpacking trip to fully put it through the ringer, but for now, I have been very satisfied with the quality of the bag, the adjustability of the straps, and the comfort of my kids while they carry it.

I plan to update my review once I've had a chance to take it up into the mountains.

Thanks for the initial review, mackaym. I'll look forward to hearing how the Fox 40 pack works out for your kids. I'd love to see a few pictures of it once it's in use too. Have a great time out there with your family!

I'd definitely like to hear the post-trip review.