DMM Belay Master 2

Excellent product, vey well designed and made. it's…

Price Paid: C$25

Summary

Excellent product, vey well designed and made. it's perfect for the job (belaying/rappelling carabiner).

Pros

• Large enough for its purpose
  • Folding catch indicates proper closure
  • Prevents cross loadings
  • Not made in China!

Cons

• Can't think of any

Bought the Master 2 exclusively for my tube-type belay device and love it. I've used it now for a few weeks and plan to get a second one soon (backup in case of loss or theft).

The "pivoting catch" assures me that my 'biner is locked properly and will not cross load whether belaying or rappelling. It's foolproof because of that folding catch and thus provides visual peace-of-mind for me and the climber—I can lock it and forget about it.

I've read elsewhere that the folding catch is a PITA, but I don't see that at all. It's what it is and that's what I wanted. I have no problem opening and closing that folding catch. If you want, you can easily take it off if you don't like it.

And this being made by a UK company also gives me peace-of-mind. It seems to be well-made and easily cleaned if it gets a little dusty or whatever else. I like it :-)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Update May 31, 2015:

I saw this top-rope anchor 'biner, cross loaded yesterday at a local crag—it was fully loaded when I took this picture. The climbers were shocked when I showed it to them in my camera. This is the sort of thing for which I bought the DMM Belay Master 2, in addition to belay use.

(Full disclosure: I have no affiliation with DMM or any other manufacturer.)

Ratt-Pt_2015-05-30-001-Resized-.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Jon, and thanks for the review. I personally see add ons like this as unnecessary and can lead to laziness on the rope (one reason I refuse to allow the belay team on my challenge course to use GriGris). I believe it is always best to know your equipment and how to use it, rather than rely on "dummy-proof" gadgets. Just my 2 cents. Again, thanks for the review!