Eagles Nest Outfitters ProFly Rain Tarp

This is a great tarp that packs up small. The coverage…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

This is a great tarp that packs up small. The coverage will keep you comfortable and dry.

Pros

• Packs small
  • Full coverage
  • Dries quickly

Cons

• Can't handle high winds

I was hesitant to buy a rain tarp from ENO for a pretty long time because they're so expensive ($80 +/-). Luckily, I have an awesome friend who bought me one as a gift, so I didn't have to spend the money. However, after having it, I would say that it's worth every penny.

Before having the ProFly, I used a normal heavy duty tarp like you get at any hardware store or Walmart. The difference is unbelievable. With the ProFly, it packs up small and is lightweight. It is easy to set up and and tear down.

I have slept under this thing in some pretty heavy downpours and stayed completely comfortable and dry. I actually use it about every time I sleep in my ENO all night, whether it's supposed to rain or not, because it keeps the dew from soaking me.

I did have one of the plastic pieces that holds the guy line snap in a really heavy storm when the wind was blowing really hard, but ENO sent me a brand new tarp. I was inside my house during this, if I had been sleeping in backcountry, I would have been a little upset.

Overall, I would recommend this product. I would pay the money and get a good tarp like this one if you like to hammock.

G00SE

I just bought an ENO tarp for $43 at Sierra Trading Post. I just couldn't pass up that price.

Ben Rivers

I saw that deal! I actually got two of my friends to buy one on STP! I couldn't believe the price!

Eric Labanauskas

Goose, if it was a deal on a ProFly, I don't wanna know about it. Bought mine at retail. Solid tarp, and love the line locks (especially on the ridgeline). Packs nicely, too!

1 month ago

After a long day hiking with a full pack, a comfortable…

Summary

After a long day hiking with a full pack, a comfortable hammock is far more relaxing than sleeping on the ground or in a tent! It is also a lot faster to set up a hammock than a tent and easier to locate a suitable campsite.

Like with any choice of camping gear, there are trade-offs, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The hammock with a rain-fly and bug net, takes up less space in your pack than a tent. If camping in a region where there are no trees, you can still use the rain-fly with your hiking poles to set up a shelter.

Pros

• Makes a hammock campsite more comfortable

Cons

• It can be difficult to get the tarp to line up centered over the hammock

I prefer a lighter pack and a comfortable night's sleep. I do this with an ENOs Double Nest Hammock, tree straps, ENOs Pro-Fly Rain Tarp, ENOs Guardian Bug Net, a sleeping pad (for insulation), a sleeping bag (bag varies based on weather), and a felt Kelty bag liner.

I can set up virtually anywhere that I can find two trees (they're everywhere).  I do find it challenging to get dressed discreetly camping with friends of the opposite sex.  I also do like that I can hang all of my gear on the ropes, off the wet ground.

The one time that we camped in a location with only one suitable tree, I used a hiking pole to setup the rain-tarp and bug net as a shelter.  I ended up sleeping on my sleeping pad on the ground (which is basically what I would have been doing if I used a tent...).

If you've owned or used an Eagles Nest Outfitters ProFly Rain Tarp, please share your experience.