Eddie Bauer First Ascent Belay Knife

Weight 1.38 oz
Blade length 60.25 mm (includes serrated edge

I thought it was interesting when I saw First Ascent…

I thought it was interesting when I saw First Ascent named this knife the "Belay" knife. I wasn't quite sure if my climbing partner would like the thought of the image of me standing on a belay stance wielding the First Ascent "Belay" knife. Sort of a "Touching the Void" thought process going on at Eddie Bauer, I guess.

Anyway, this is a pretty cool knife. They claim it's the lightest knife and I believe them. It's got a very light plastic handle, and a nice high quality blade. There's an eyelet at the top of the knife to hang it on your rack and it opens and closes quite easily. This is a knife I carry with me all the time - -it carries well in my thigh pocket or in a pocket on my pack.

Two things about it keep it from being great. FA claims it's a one hand flip open, even with gloves. In theory that's true with the way the knife is designed. In practice, with gloves on, it's hard to open the knife with a thumb flick.

Second thing is they like to promote that it has a bottle opener. I don't know about you, but I don't carry bottles up to the "Belay". I do carry cans of food sometime and would prefer they have a can opener on the knife. Or better yet, just skip the idea that a knife designed to cut rope and work around camp, needs to be a multi-tool of some sort.

So buy this knife if you want a good quality, very light, very useful KNIFE and forget about flicking, can opening, or "Belay" use.

-g

We believe it's the lightest belay knife out there. It accommodates a carabiner, and clips easily to your harness for use in emergencies. (Our guides have also been known to use it to reach the bottom of a peanut butter jar.) Its one-handed operation is made even easier with the thumb stud—you can open and close the locking blade with your gloves on. Includes bottle opener.

Eddie Bauer Belay Knife - We believe it's the lightest belay knife out there. It accommodates a carabiner, and clips easily to your harness for use in emergencies. (Our guides have also been known to use it to reach the bottom of a peanut butter jar.) Its one-handed operation is made even easier with the thumb stud?you can open and close the locking blade with your gloves on. Includes bottle opener. .

- Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Belay Knife

The First Ascent Belay Knife has been discontinued.

The Eddie Bauer First Ascent Belay Knife is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 3, 2012 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new folding knife, check out the best reviewed current models.