Eddie Bauer First Ascent Lightweight Softshell Gloves

The Lightweight Softshell Gloves from First Ascent…

Fabric: Stretch Nylon
Price Paid: 43.90

The Lightweight Softshell Gloves from First Ascent are one of two glove models they introduced with their new product line this fall.

I've been using these gloves since August in mild and cold weather. Generally, I always have a pair of lightweight fleece or softshell gloves along, even when the weather is very cold. In cool weather I like them to be lightweight but also have some warming value. In cold weather, I like them to give me some dexterity and have a least a little insulating value.

Since I like fleece gloves and have a few pair from OR and North Face that I've been using for years, I'm using them as a comparison for this review. I also have a pair of Black Diamond two piece softshells I like for ice climbing.

The First Ascent gloves don't seem to measure up in my use in the field compared to my other gloves. They are very very comfortable and I especially like the tight fit around the wrists which make it easy to put under a shell or fleece. And the gloves look very good as well.

On the other hand, they seem to have very little to no insulating capacity at all, especially in damp weather. The gloves are made out of a stretchy nylon material that doesn't have much wind resistance and is lacking the little bit of fuzzy insulation lining that makes these types of gloves feel a little warm.

So overall, these are useful in very mild weather, or might be good if your hands stay pretty warm. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with my fleece style light gloves.

-g

Indispensable in cool, wet conditions. Their light weight makes them a no-brainer to pack. And with articulated fingers for maximum dexterity, and double-stitched leather palms for equal durability, they more than earn their keep with their performance.

Shell: 100% Polyester #KW 2754 Laminate Soft Shell
Palm: 100% Indo Goat Leather

Visit Eddie Bauer's First Ascent Lightweight Softshell Gloves page.

Eddie Bauer Lightweight Soft Shell Gloves - These uninsulated soft shell gloves are ideal for high-aerobic and high-output activities in cool, dry climates: they're lightweight and offer excellent dexterity and breathability. Unisex. With articulated fingers and double-stitched leather palms for durability, they more than earn their keep with their performance. Note: women may want to size down. #extendedLink {display:none !important;} #sizeChartLink {display:none !important;}

- Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Lightweight Softshell Gloves

The Eddie Bauer First Ascent Lightweight Softshell Gloves is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 15, 2013 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new soft shell glove/mitten, check out the best reviewed current models.