Eddie Bauer First Ascent Rainier Storm Shell Pants

Suprisingly rugged for how they feel! I bought mine…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Suprisingly rugged for how they feel!

Pros

• Rugged
  • Sized to fit over layers

Cons

• 7/8 zipper instead of full zip
  • Not very breathable

I bought mine used through Whittaker. They have three holes in the butt area that were patched. They were obviously caused by crampons.

Problem for me is, they only have a 7/8 side zip. I would prefer a full zip. But I couldn't pass on the deal. They didn't breathe very well, which I guess most hardshell don't, but I would just unzip the side zips a little and problem solved.

For how thin they feel they are suprisingly rugged (unless you are sticking some spikes through it). I fell a few times and tumbled through rock, snow and brush.

Most important, they are waterproof and wind proof.  I wore just a midweight EMS base layer and an OR softshell pant under them in subzero temps... plenty warm.

Visit Eddie Bauer's Men's First Ascent Rainier Storm Shell Pants page.

Eddie Bauer Rainier Storm Shell Pants - Wear these with the Rainier Storm Shell Jacket for ultimate protection from rain, wind and snow. Our guides use them for both climbing and skiing.The rugged 3-layer waterproof/breathable WeatherEdge Pro fabric is rated to 20,000mm/20,000g. Like the jacket, the pants are remarkably soft and quiet. You won't find a better hardshell pant anywhere. And 20,000 feet is no place to settle for second best. Machine wash.

- Eddie Bauer refers to the men's version

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Rainier Storm Shell Pants

$199.00 (men's)

The Eddie Bauer First Ascent Rainier Storm Shell Pants is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 24, 2013 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new hard shell pant, check out the best reviewed current models.