Great deal on a 55% off sale, but two problems made…
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $302.67 with NV sales tax
Great deal on a 55% off sale, but two problems made me send it back.
- 850 fill down with Down Tek DWR
- Long enough for storage of gear in the foot
- Good hood design
- Pertex shell with DWR
- 3/4 length zipper saves weight
- Enough room to wear puffy clothes to extend range
- Very poorly designed and located neck collar
- Hood drawstring is outside (tougher to adjust)
- Not enough loft to fill the tubes properly
I just got this bag and will be returning it to EB.
As listed above it needs either more fill or smaller tubes to prevent the down from shifting during use and thus creating convective heat loss. Additionally the loose fill means more space to heat.
The main gripe is a very poorly designed and located neck collar.
- located at my mid sternum (I'm 5' 10"), not at my neck and shoulder area.
- no Velcro closure at the zipper side of the collar (necessary for a drawcord to work)
- no drawcord for the collar (!!)
- collar too small and not puffy enough
- no Velcro closure at the top of the zipper (zipper can easily slide open when turning in the bag)
With these problems I very much doubt the Karakoram 0 will keep the average backpacker/backcountry skier warm at 0°F, even dressed in midweight long johns.
Hard to believe actual guides OK'd this bag with these flaws.