EMS Arete GTX

I wanted a heartier boot than my last pair (Asolo's…

Materials: Stiff Italian Leather/Gore-Tex Lined- Heavy Vibram Tread
Use: All hiking, My boot is my boot.
Break-in Period: Wore Everyday. As slippers, work shoes, Hospital Clogs, and day hikers for three weeks in preparation for Three Days in Presidentials
Weight: Boulder Like, maybe 8 lbs.

I wanted a heartier boot than my last pair (Asolo's from 1998-2006). I also wanted the ability to step into crampons for winter trips. Boy did I get it. I almost baulked at the purchase and went with a "softer" boot for comfort. Don't be scared at the out of box "ski boot" feel. Given the love and attention of a good couple good Snow Seal Massages, continual wear, and stretching, these boots began to loosen after a week. Three weeks in and I'm confident to ascend. I'll retract as necessary if further tests prove contrary.

A crazy-strong all-leather design for year-round backpacking. Though not insulated, the Arete is supportive enough for light mountaineering and easier ice climbs. This is a pretty fab choice when you need one boot to handle a variety of demands. Rough-out leather is heavily treated with silicone and backed up by a waterproof Gore-Tex? membrane. Vibram? Vertige outsole is a classic mountain unit that boasts an aggressive tread pattern to latch onto treacherous terrain. Toe and heel ridges accept step-in crampon bails. Outsole is stiff enough to keep from popping out of a crampon. Rocker shape permits a natural (non-Frankenstein) stride onto mixed terrain. The Arete is built on a men's last. The size/color dropdown box refers to men's sizes. To convert to women's, please refer to the size chart below.

- EMS refers to the men's version

EMS Arete GTX

The Arete GTX has been discontinued.

The EMS Arete GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 22, 2009 at EMS.