EMS Ascent 4700

Awesome bag! The good: Lots of space (4700 but expands…

Design: Top-loading
Size: 4700 (expands 5100)
Number of Pockets: 1 main, 1 sleeping bag compartement, 1 front, 1 top = 4 total
Height of Owner: 6'0"

Awesome bag!

The good:
Lots of space (4700 but expands to 5100), GREAT VALUE, DURABLE, separate sleeping bag compartment, good size front pocket (contains a few smallish mesh pockets and other organizing goodies), two mesh bottle holders, daisy chain, spot for skis and poles, multiple compression straps and adjusting straps to make this bag very versatile, great back support.

Definitely comparable to bags costing 3-4x as much. Compare the specs of this bag to more expensive Gregory, Osprey, Deuter, etc. bags and you will see that this EMS bag has materials that are at least comparable and more often better and more durable!

The not-so-good:
No front access to the main compartment!! Why did EMS delete this feature?? Previous version of this bag had a front zipper from which you could access the main compartment, for whatever reason this version does not.
This is why I only rated it 4 stars, with a front access this bag is easily a 5 star bag.

I have a small torso and this pack really leaves my…

Design: top loading w/sleeping bag compartment
Size: 4700, expands to 5100 in.
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs.
Height of Owner: 6'

I have a small torso and this pack really leaves my shoulders and hips sore, but I have to say that it is very durable and heavy when empty. I think it would be better with a load of 25-34 lbs. I am only 13 and this pack really kills me.

If you've owned or used an EMS Ascent 4700, please share your experience.

EMS Ascent 4700

The Ascent 4700 has been discontinued.

The EMS Ascent 4700 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 20, 2007 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.