EMS MM 20

I used this bag to climb the Aconcagua a few years…

Design: mummy
Fill: 600 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20dF
Weight: 3ldB
Price Paid: ?

I used this bag to climb the Aconcagua a few years ago and loved to go to sleep at night. Though bad weather sometimes (we had snow a storm at 5300mtr that cost us one tent) and high altitude camping (6000mtr) I never was cold for a single moment. The bag is not heavy compared to its capabillities and cheap compared to other brands.

Years ago, I got a clearout former rental bag for…

Design: mummy
Fill: 600 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20dF
Weight: ~3 lbs

Years ago, I got a clearout former rental bag for $20, and 180+ nights later, it is still great!

The down is very good for 600, and the microfiber shell is much more wind- and water-resistant than DWR nylon.

I work at a high-end gear shop now, and have access to (and own) nicer gear, but the MM20 is still a very sweet bag. Unlike almost all "shop-label gear", it holds its own against the top of the line stuff.

To get a bag this good from most manufacturers, you would pay much much more. And with EMS frequent price promotion (ahh, the advantage of a huge chain store) you could do even better.

Basically, I consider it the cheapest among the great high-end down 20s, and by far the most bag for the buck in the low $200 range. (It is a better buy than the Blue Kazoo, a solid benchmark bag in its own right)

After a year at the shop, I am pretty critical of gear, but I give this bag a very solid recommendation. If I had to pay retail, it would be my undisputed first choice in a 20.

EMS MM 20

The MM 20 has been discontinued.

The EMS MM 20 is not available from the stores we monitor.