EMS MM 20

Years ago, I got a clearout former rental bag for…

Design: mummy
Fill: 600 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20dF
Weight: ~3 lbs

Years ago, I got a clearout former rental bag for $20, and 180+ nights later, it is still great!

The down is very good for 600, and the microfiber shell is much more wind- and water-resistant than DWR nylon.

I work at a high-end gear shop now, and have access to (and own) nicer gear, but the MM20 is still a very sweet bag. Unlike almost all "shop-label gear", it holds its own against the top of the line stuff.

To get a bag this good from most manufacturers, you would pay much much more. And with EMS frequent price promotion (ahh, the advantage of a huge chain store) you could do even better.

Basically, I consider it the cheapest among the great high-end down 20s, and by far the most bag for the buck in the low $200 range. (It is a better buy than the Blue Kazoo, a solid benchmark bag in its own right)

After a year at the shop, I am pretty critical of gear, but I give this bag a very solid recommendation. If I had to pay retail, it would be my undisputed first choice in a 20.

I used this bag to climb the Aconcagua a few years…

Design: mummy
Fill: 600 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20dF
Weight: 3ldB
Price Paid: ?

I used this bag to climb the Aconcagua a few years ago and loved to go to sleep at night. Though bad weather sometimes (we had snow a storm at 5300mtr that cost us one tent) and high altitude camping (6000mtr) I never was cold for a single moment. The bag is not heavy compared to its capabillities and cheap compared to other brands.

If you've owned or used an EMS MM 20, please share your experience.

EMS MM 20

The MM 20 has been discontinued.

The EMS MM 20 is not available from the stores we monitor.