EMS Summit Parka

I bought this parka a year ago, used it for hiking…

Fabric: Gore-tex XCR

I bought this parka a year ago, used it for hiking and skiing, besides daily use. It performs well in not-so-extreme weather, however, one time after skiing four hrs in a heavy snowstorm, I found my fleece under this parka wet at the shoulder and back areas. After this incident, I started to pay close attention on how this parka performs on wet days. I found it will keep me dry as long as I don't stay in the rain or snow too long--say two hours. After that, water seems to saturate the parka and I feel wet inside.

Other than this, it has been a great parka for me, nice design, many useful pockets, very good hood design. If the waterproofness is guaranteed, I will rate it higher than other big name parkas/jackets with $100-200 more price tag.

Have a penchant for pushing the envelope? Prone to hucking into air that might be a bit big for you? Not to worry (about the parka, we mean). Our Summit likes it rough. 2-layer Gore-Tex XCR; keeps out rain, snow, and ice. XCR; is 25% more breathable than original Gore-Tex. The tough nylon shell stands up to abrasions and multiple headers and diggers on icy slopes. Powder skirt keeps the snow from sliding up your back when you make the above-gravity check. Waterproof pit zips help ventilate. Double zipper accommodates the EMS Tundra jacket and vest, Divergence jacket, Summit Tech fleece jacket, PrimaLoft jacket and vest and Glacier jacket and vest. 3-way adjustable roll-away hood accommodates helmet; double storm flaps over main zipper; dual chest pockets; drawcord hem; adjustable cuffs; interior mesh pocket; zippered handwarmer pockets with storm flaps; mesh liner improves breathablity; fleece-lined collar.

- EMS refers to the women's version

EMS Summit Parka

The EMS Summit Parka is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 31, 2009 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.