EMS Trail Crash Pad

Pros: Comfortable, fairly thick, cheap Cons: Heavy,…

Price Paid: like 30 bucks

Pros: Comfortable, fairly thick, cheap

Cons: Heavy, cheap

I had kind of a fun time ruining this thing. I was setting up camp, and took my pad out to let it inflate. I like a firm pad so I blew extra air into it and set it aside to set up my tent. Midway through setting up my tent, I heard a popping sound, sounded like popcorn, couldn't figure out what it was... so I kept setting up my tent... After about 3 minutes of hearing this popping sound, I heard one really loud pop... and looked out of the tent to see my sleeping pad blown up like a summer sausage... completely round...

Apparently the sun had hit it, melting the glue that holds it together, while expanding the air.... dark blue sleeping pad in a sunny spot apparently generates heat really quickly. I'm not counting that in the review, because I'm assuming all pads of a dark color would do that... but... the pad compressed is still twice the size, and twice the weight of a Therm-a-rest Prolite 4... so you're better off spending the extra cash... especially if you are going to hike with it.

Visit EMS's Men's Trail Crash Pad page.

There's more to this self-inflating sleeping pad than what you can see. Within the shell, die-cut patterns throughout the foam help to speed up inflation/deflation while also minimizing weight. The Trail Crash Pad is a great value and offers an appealing combo of insulation, cushioning, and lightweight performance.

- EMS refers to the men's version

EMS Trail Crash Pad

$79.00 (men's)

The EMS Trail Crash Pad is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 21, 2014 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.