EMS Velocity 1 Tent

Great tent for when you have to sleep alone. I bought…

Summary

Great tent for when you have to sleep alone.

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Packs small

Cons

• Only available through EMS

I bought this tent to add to my backpacking arsenal because I was tired of carrying around a 2-person tent when most times I end up going solo. By doing so I shed over 2 lbs and reduced the volume it took up in my pack.

It is only available at EMS as it's their store branded product. SO if you are not near an EMS and unable to review a unit before purchase that might be an important consideration. (I strongly recommend seeing a demo or at least a packaged tents in stores so you can get an idea of space and weight.)

The tent sets up easily, and I strongly recommend you purchase the matching footprint. Why tent makers just don't add them to the tent when you buy them is beyond me. It's not like you aren't going to worry about that extra $20 or so because you end up spending it anyway, but I digress.

The stakes are pretty sturdy and they are color coded so you know where to set them up in relation to the tent.  I have had no issues with ventilation when the rain-fly is attached. There are several stow away spots inside the tent, and a spot on the top mesh to hang a small lantern.

Access is easy to get in and out from. I have found that it is roomy enough for my and some of my gear. If the weather is nice my pack sits outside the tent. I have had it stowed under the rain-fly when weather is bad and it had kept my gear dry.

I wish that I didn't have to buy a solo tent, but I can't seem to find people to go on trips with that a) want do backpack, or b) have the same availability as I have. But what can you do. If you need to sleep alone, this tent will provide you with the comforts you deserve.

One last thing, keep looking at the EMS website as this tent tends to go on sale or there are other deals that can be used to purchase this.

Thanks for sharing your Velocity review, arcana1973. Sounds like you found a good tent for your outings. I'd love to see some pictures of yours, if you're willing to add some to your review.

KiwiKlimber

Thanks for sharing this review, Arcana1973. I lived in WNY for some time and really grew to love the area. Lots of great places to get away, be it solo or with a group.

At first I was skeptical of the room on this tent,…

Price Paid: $136 on ebay

At first I was skeptical of the room on this tent, but after two nights out spent in this tent, my doubts have been laid to rest. The way the footprint, tent and rainfly all hook together at the corner stakes is really impressive. The headroom is great, plenty of room at the head end of the tent for pack storage and everything fits inside nicely.

So now my big question is do I keep my MSR Carbon Reflex 2 or return it and use this tent?