enLIGHTened Equipment Epiphany Cuben Fiber Quilt

Weight 19 oz
Temp Rating 30 F

Light, small, warm, but should breathe better. I have…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Light, small, warm, but should breathe better.

Pros

• Light
  • Stuffs down real small
  • Warm

Cons

• breathability

I have only used this one time on a 50+ mile backpack trip. I therefore want to do some more experimenting so consider these first impressions.

I really liked it on first sight as it was small and very light (and mine is a little over stuffed).

The first few days were warm and I used it like a blanket (lots of side venting) and had no issues. I was glad to be carrying such a small and light quilt.

When we got to higher elevations (Volgesang: I think it is over 10K) the temperature was colder at night so I wrapped myself into it as expected for a cold night. I woke to significant moisture in the bag especially where I had no clothing (mostly my legs were in a wet state).

I wear clean socks in my bags/quilts and did not have my head enclosed in the quilt (I do not believe the moisture was from my breathing or from my feet). I believe my legs, which I would think should not sweat much, was responsible for most of the moisture.

I noticed that EE no longer sells a Cuben Fiber quilt or sleeping bag. I wonder if it is due to the fabric not breathing enough.

I am not ready to call it a bust and pass it on as I want to try using it wearing long pants in similar circumstance.

My 11-year-old son is dying for the bag if I do not like it. He is an extreme backpacker (he backpacks around a dozen trips a year and has done 50 miles in a weekend) so he would get great use out of it.  He likely does not sweat as bad as I do.

In summary: I currently think it may have an issue with breathability but I want to experiment more.  It is definitely light, small, and warm.

Welcome to Trailspace, Dan. Thanks for sharing your quilt review. I'd love to see a pic of it in your review, if you want to add one.

I'd like to know how much this thing weighs.

Dan Heuschele

With 30% overstuff which probably equates to a 20 degree F quitit weighs 14.1 oz. The shell is almost weightless. The integrated stuff sack/billow is much longer than it needs to be for stuffing but the cuben fiber is so light it is ok to have the extra material. I can fit a lot in addition to the bag in the stuff sack. If I fully compress the bag in the stuff sack (no reason to do it) the bag would take at most 1/3 of the stuff sack.

Dan Heuschele

I cannot imagine a lighter quilt with closure mechanism for the amount of down and it's length. The cuben fiber used is the thin stuff. You can see through it. Because it is a quilt the efficiency on the down is high (ie very little is compressed under my body). The only way I can envision it being lighter is making it shorter so it is designed to use a down jacket and down hood.

I gotta see a picture! Can you post one?

Dan Heuschele

Another trait is that the baffles are not done by sewing but more of a seal process (maybe it is glue or similar to seal a mean but it is lighter than sewing). I will be leaving next week on my last Sierra outing of the summer. I will try to remember to take a picture before I pack it.

One of the lightest 30 degree quilts around weighing…

Summary

One of the lightest 30 degree quilts around weighing in at 19 oz. This quilt is waterproof and packs down very small into its attached stuff sack.

Pros

• Waterproof

Cons

• May be a little warmer than rated.

I really am impressed with this quilt. It is made to fit me. When ordering, Tim Marshall the owner had some basic questions, yet had double checked at least 3 times the measurements I was requesting. I have wide shoulders and needed a little extra material to cover me.

The first time using this quilt, I was very impressed. The loft was great and foot box had plenty of room. When it was made to fit me, what more could I expect.

This quilt does have two issues that are not game stoppers but just a bit different. The attached stuff sack is also used to increase the loft by acting as an air bladder. A bit different than shaking the quilt, yet very effective. This material is air  tight and needs the loft  adjusted this way.

Being air tight causes this quilt to cause you have to vent at night if the temps are warm, and I only found this true when the temps were a bit warmer, when the temps were 30 to 40 degrees this was a non-issue.

I used this quilt on the PCT for a section and had no problems or issues, never felt a chill. And even went a few nights in the winter with it and was surprised how warm I stayed.

enLIGHTened Equipment Epiphany Cuben Fiber Quilt

The enLIGHTened Equipment Epiphany Cuben Fiber Quilt is not available from the stores we monitor.