Esbit Solid Fuel Stove & Cookset CS585HA

Weight 7 oz / 198 g
Dimensions Packed 3.4 x 4.4 in / 8.6 cm x 11.2 cm

Simple little lightweight camping stove. Does not…

Summary

Simple little lightweight camping stove. Does not put out a lot of heat though.

Pros

• Simple to operate
  • Packs down small

Cons

• Not a lot of heat output
  • No control over flame

I have used a bunch of different backpacking stoves and while I was drawn to this one for its simplicity it is not my favorite.

I like the design and how everything packs down inside the pot for storage. It makes for a nice small footprint in my backpack.

I like that the Esbit fuel is stable and you can store a bunch of the tablets inside the pot as well. Better than a fuel bottle.

But I found that when trying to boil water with this pot it requires two Esbit fuel tabs to make it work well. In my testing under ideal conditions it took about 10 minutes to boil water. The burning chamber has a small opening where you are able to access the tray for the fuel.

In my opinion the tray is placed too low. I think if it was a half inch higher less heat would be lost and the pot would boil quicker. The opening should have a little door to reflect in the heat as well. I ended up using a tin foil wind shield around this pot to try and keep the heat in better. I have found that the pot will get sooty from the fuel but that is to be expected and can be cleaned off with a sponge and a little scrubbing.

Here are a few pictures of the soot on the pot.  You can see the cook stove itself is the original color of the finish.

IMG_20150725_153553562.jpg
IMG_20150725_153609845_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150725_153618344_HDR.jpg

What I do like is that aside from using Esbit fuel I can also feed in small twigs into the opening and burn them for fuel. This is a nice feature since you are inevitably going to need more fuel to get your meal to temp.

Overall, for the cost, it is a nice little compact stove. I like the included pot which has graduated measurements on the inside. The anodized finish is nice too.  And of course the Esbit fuel is inexpensive and has a crazy shelf life.

Never used Esbit fuel. Thanks for the review. (Any pics?)

GCap48

The Esbit fuel isn't bad, it just didn't burn as hot and as long as I had hoped. I used it this past Feb on a backpacking trip up Hunter Mtn in NY. I ended up using several cubes to heat up my dinner. Didn't help that it was REALLY cold and windy. I will break out the stove and take some pics this weekend.

1 month ago

Thanks for the review, GCap. I'll look forward to the pictures too.

Thanks for the pics!

ronrude

I own this same kit the best thing you can do is toss the bottom piece and buy the esbit titanium stove. One tablet works fine the and you save weight. It becomes a very capable system then

Thanks for the pics!

1 month ago

Esbit stoves are awesome...however, this version is…

Summary

Esbit stoves are awesome...however, this version is not great.

Pros

• Hard anodized aluminium
  • Solid fuel tabs
  • Pot size for solo camping
  • Easy to light

Cons

• Weak heating for pot size

I have been a fan of Esbit stoves for years. I still have an Esbit folding stove from the '80s that I use all the time. I bought this stove several years ago and have used it many times.

This stove set up is awesome. The pot is fantastic. It is the perfect size for solo camping. Folding handles are functional. The pot is easy to clean and has a little pour spout. I love this pot (but I don't want to marry it) and it I could find a silicon lip protector I would use it as a mug.

The burner is great and stores easily inside the pot. You can also store 4 or 5 fuel tabs inside for transport.  This is an Esbit stove so don't expect flame control, fast boil time, or anything else associated with more expensive stoves. It is for boiling water. I mean look at it...it is a no-brainer, easy to use product.

The problem: the stove cannot boil a full pot of water. The pot capacity is a pint/16 oz/about 400 ml. It will get the water hot enough to make coffee or ramen. However, if you needed to boil water as treatment it is not effective. I am not sure why it has this problem.

The Esbit folding stove will boil 16 oz of water on half of a fuel tab in an IMUSA pot with no lid. It could be the distance between the pot bottom and flame is too far. I am not an engineer and have not played one on television so I cannot give you the adjustments needed to make this more functional.

I will use this stove for making hot drinks with enthusiasm. Recently I used it in the parking lot at my local high school football game to make a fresh thermos of coffee for the game.

When this stove is all packed up and in its mesh bag it is so cute that you want to pinch it cheek. It will fit easily in your pack.

Comparing this to a similarly functional stove, Trangia Solo Set, go with the second.

ronrude

I feel the same way you do, great pot, bad stove. I found out a way to use this pot efficiently. Throw away the bottom stand and purchase the tiny titanium Esbit stove. When you do that, and use a foil wind screen, this great pot can boil water with tablet to spare. I think the old stand pulls away too much heat and also doesn't allow the flames to lick the sides of the pot decreasing potential surface area the flame can hit. Do yourself a favor and get the titanium burner.

I bought this more as an impulse buy and a curiosity…

I bought this more as an impulse buy and a curiosity with Esbit and this design. I am a bit disappointed.

First of all Esbit is well known and respected and they do have tried and true designs. I am a backpacking, looking always to go lighter, and so I thought I should at least try this.

The Good: The pot is great and the nesting design really encouraged me to buy. The stand looked great, solid, and seemed to have a good wind-screen design built it.

The Bad: It is messy (ok some tweaking can minimize this), and the boil times...well don't watch it try to boil. Add a wind screen (piece of foil will do) or prepare to use extra fuel and wait longer).

The pot is well worth it and the stand is pretty good, but the fuel is messy, stinky, and once tablet on a warm evening using 60f water took over 12 minutes to boil (at 700ft).

I was disappointed. I was left with a less than confident feeling. If I really had to purify my water how long would it take? How many tablets? My friends say they often use two at once but I went with the instructions. Gotta use a wind screen.

Bottom line: Great idea, great pot, great nesting, love it all. Use a piece of foil to prevent soiling the stand. Use a piece of foil as a wind screen. Be prepared to isolate the stand from the pot when nesting to avoid contamination ans smell, be prepared to wait or use extra fuel.

I decided to put this system in my 'ready bag' as back-up or will use for more car-like camping. Love the pot, not lovin the fuel.