Esbit Solid Fuel Stove & Cookset CS585HA

Weight 7 oz / 198 g
Dimensions Packed 3.4 x 4.4 in / 8.6 cm x 11.2 cm

Esbit stoves are awesome...however, this version is…

Summary

Esbit stoves are awesome...however, this version is not great.

Pros

• Hard anodized aluminium
  • Solid fuel tabs
  • Pot size for solo camping
  • Easy to light

Cons

• Weak heating for pot size

I have been a fan of Esbit stoves for years. I still have an Esbit folding stove from the '80s that I use all the time. I bought this stove several years ago and have used it many times.

This stove set up is awesome. The pot is fantastic. It is the perfect size for solo camping. Folding handles are functional. The pot is easy to clean and has a little pour spout. I love this pot (but I don't want to marry it) and it I could find a silicon lip protector I would use it as a mug.

The burner is great and stores easily inside the pot. You can also store 4 or 5 fuel tabs inside for transport.  This is an Esbit stove so don't expect flame control, fast boil time, or anything else associated with more expensive stoves. It is for boiling water. I mean look at it...it is a no-brainer, easy to use product.

The problem: the stove cannot boil a full pot of water. The pot capacity is a pint/16 oz/about 400 ml. It will get the water hot enough to make coffee or ramen. However, if you needed to boil water as treatment it is not effective. I am not sure why it has this problem.

The Esbit folding stove will boil 16 oz of water on half of a fuel tab in an IMUSA pot with no lid. It could be the distance between the pot bottom and flame is too far. I am not an engineer and have not played one on television so I cannot give you the adjustments needed to make this more functional.

I will use this stove for making hot drinks with enthusiasm. Recently I used it in the parking lot at my local high school football game to make a fresh thermos of coffee for the game.

When this stove is all packed up and in its mesh bag it is so cute that you want to pinch it cheek. It will fit easily in your pack.

Comparing this to a similarly functional stove, Trangia Solo Set, go with the second.

I bought this more as an impulse buy and a curiosity…

I bought this more as an impulse buy and a curiosity with Esbit and this design. I am a bit disappointed.

First of all Esbit is well known and respected and they do have tried and true designs. I am a backpacking, looking always to go lighter, and so I thought I should at least try this.

The Good: The pot is great and the nesting design really encouraged me to buy. The stand looked great, solid, and seemed to have a good wind-screen design built it.

The Bad: It is messy (ok some tweaking can minimize this), and the boil times...well don't watch it try to boil. Add a wind screen (piece of foil will do) or prepare to use extra fuel and wait longer).

The pot is well worth it and the stand is pretty good, but the fuel is messy, stinky, and once tablet on a warm evening using 60f water took over 12 minutes to boil (at 700ft).

I was disappointed. I was left with a less than confident feeling. If I really had to purify my water how long would it take? How many tablets? My friends say they often use two at once but I went with the instructions. Gotta use a wind screen.

Bottom line: Great idea, great pot, great nesting, love it all. Use a piece of foil to prevent soiling the stand. Use a piece of foil as a wind screen. Be prepared to isolate the stand from the pot when nesting to avoid contamination ans smell, be prepared to wait or use extra fuel.

I decided to put this system in my 'ready bag' as back-up or will use for more car-like camping. Love the pot, not lovin the fuel.

This lightweight, self-contained complete cooking system is constructed from hard-anodized aluminum and works with solid fuel. The stove is great for heating water or food on the trail, such as a quick cup of coffee, tea, or soup. It includes a windshield type stove and a pot with lid.

The stove fits in the pot, which has folding handles and a small pour spout, making it space and weight efficient for hiking and backpacking. The durable 585 ml pot has graduations in both ounces and milliliters that you read from the inside when pouring in the liquid. The pot's folding handles have silicone grips for protection from heat and it all fits in the included mesh stuff sack.

• Constructed from extremely light, hard-anodized aluminum.
  • Pot with volume indicators in mililiter/oz. with 2 hinged, stainless steel, silicone-coated grips.
  • Wind deflector to be used with Esbit solid fuel tablets (fuel not included).
  • Includes 585 ml pot, lid, and wind deflector.
  • Stores in included mesh bag.
  • Dimensions-packed: 3.4" x 4.4" (8.6 cm x 11.2 cm)
  • Weight: 7 oz. (198 g)

Visit Esbit's Solid Fuel Stove & Cookset CS585HA page.

The Esbit Solid Fuel stove and cookset is a great choice for heating up water or making simple meals on fast and light adventures in the mountains.

A great cooking solution for minimalist backpackers, the Esbit Solid Fuel Stove and Cookset offers a quick and efficient way to boil water on the trail, takes up hardly any space in your pack, and weighs a mere 0.6 oz. more than an empty Nalgene bottle!

- EMS

Made of extremely light, hard anodized aluminium the Esbit Stove and Cookset combo is the next evolution to the popular and time tested Esbit Solid Fuel Stove. The windsheild stand can be stowed inside the pot in a space-saving way. Windshield is suitable for use with Esbit solid fuel (not included).

- CampSaver.com

Esbit Solid Fuel Stove and Cook SetEsbit Solid Fuel Stove and Cook Set is great for heating water or food on the trail, such as a quick cup of coffee, tea, or soup. This is lightweight, self-contained complete cooking system is constructed from hard-anodized aluminium and works with solid fuel. The stove fits in the pot, which has folding handles and a small pour spout, making it space and weight efficient for hiking and backpacking. The pot's folding handles have silicone grips for protection from heat and it all fits in the included mesh stuff sack. Esbit Solid Fuel Stove and Cook Set are ideal for backpackers and campers who like to travel extremely light.

- SunnySports