Esbit Solid Fuel Stove & Cookset CS585HA

Weight 7 oz / 198 g
Dimensions Packed 3.4 x 4.4 in / 8.6 cm x 11.2 cm

Esbit stoves are awesome...however, this version is…

Summary

Esbit stoves are awesome...however, this version is not great.

Pros

• Hard anodized aluminium
  • Solid fuel tabs
  • Pot size for solo camping
  • Easy to light

Cons

• Weak heating for pot size

I have been a fan of Esbit stoves for years. I still have an Esbit folding stove from the '80s that I use all the time. I bought this stove several years ago and have used it many times.

This stove set up is awesome. The pot is fantastic. It is the perfect size for solo camping. Folding handles are functional. The pot is easy to clean and has a little pour spout. I love this pot (but I don't want to marry it) and it I could find a silicon lip protector I would use it as a mug.

The burner is great and stores easily inside the pot. You can also store 4 or 5 fuel tabs inside for transport.  This is an Esbit stove so don't expect flame control, fast boil time, or anything else associated with more expensive stoves. It is for boiling water. I mean look at it...it is a no-brainer, easy to use product.

The problem: the stove cannot boil a full pot of water. The pot capacity is a pint/16 oz/about 400 ml. It will get the water hot enough to make coffee or ramen. However, if you needed to boil water as treatment it is not effective. I am not sure why it has this problem.

The Esbit folding stove will boil 16 oz of water on half of a fuel tab in an IMUSA pot with no lid. It could be the distance between the pot bottom and flame is too far. I am not an engineer and have not played one on television so I cannot give you the adjustments needed to make this more functional.

I will use this stove for making hot drinks with enthusiasm. Recently I used it in the parking lot at my local high school football game to make a fresh thermos of coffee for the game.

When this stove is all packed up and in its mesh bag it is so cute that you want to pinch it cheek. It will fit easily in your pack.

Comparing this to a similarly functional stove, Trangia Solo Set, go with the second.

ronrude

I feel the same way you do, great pot, bad stove. I found out a way to use this pot efficiently. Throw away the bottom stand and purchase the tiny titanium Esbit stove. When you do that, and use a foil wind screen, this great pot can boil water with tablet to spare. I think the old stand pulls away too much heat and also doesn't allow the flames to lick the sides of the pot decreasing potential surface area the flame can hit. Do yourself a favor and get the titanium burner.

I bought this more as an impulse buy and a curiosity…

I bought this more as an impulse buy and a curiosity with Esbit and this design. I am a bit disappointed.

First of all Esbit is well known and respected and they do have tried and true designs. I am a backpacking, looking always to go lighter, and so I thought I should at least try this.

The Good: The pot is great and the nesting design really encouraged me to buy. The stand looked great, solid, and seemed to have a good wind-screen design built it.

The Bad: It is messy (ok some tweaking can minimize this), and the boil times...well don't watch it try to boil. Add a wind screen (piece of foil will do) or prepare to use extra fuel and wait longer).

The pot is well worth it and the stand is pretty good, but the fuel is messy, stinky, and once tablet on a warm evening using 60f water took over 12 minutes to boil (at 700ft).

I was disappointed. I was left with a less than confident feeling. If I really had to purify my water how long would it take? How many tablets? My friends say they often use two at once but I went with the instructions. Gotta use a wind screen.

Bottom line: Great idea, great pot, great nesting, love it all. Use a piece of foil to prevent soiling the stand. Use a piece of foil as a wind screen. Be prepared to isolate the stand from the pot when nesting to avoid contamination ans smell, be prepared to wait or use extra fuel.

I decided to put this system in my 'ready bag' as back-up or will use for more car-like camping. Love the pot, not lovin the fuel.