Eureka! Timberline SQ 4XT

Best tent for scouts. After a lot of research and…

Best tent for scouts.

• Cost
  • Ventilation
  • Size
  • Ease of setup

• Weight
  • Not really a backpacking tent

After a lot of research and finding out what other scout troops were using I decided on this tent. It is an upgrade to the four-person Timberline that has been around for decades. Like the older Timberline it is a true four-person tent with two doors, but unlike the original, one door has a large vestibule for wet boots or gear.

The inner tent has a larger bathtub floor and the outer tarp comes down farther eliminating one of the flaws of the original rain splash getting in. The newer SQ 4XT design also has a spreader pole that goes side to side in the middle of the tent opening the inner tent and creating more head space.

Both doors have a solid, water repellent door and a screen door. The sheltered top of each solid door can be unzipped a bit to allow for cross ventilation. This is very important when scouts always seem to find a way to hide in their tents and play cards.

Unlike backpacking tents that claim to be two- or three-person and could only hold that many if everyone agreed to sleep like cord wood, this old school tent can truly hold four sleepers. That doesn't leave much room for gear, but there is a vestibule off one door.

The first time I set this up, only glancing at the instructions, it took about five minutes including unpacking from the shipping box. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of the poles were shock corded, which makes setup easier and reduces the chances of loss.

On the downside it weighs 10 pounds. That doesn't include a ground tarp. In a backpacking situation one person can take the inner tent, one the outer and the stakes, a third the poles, and the last the ground tarp reducing the weight to about 3 pounds each. [Remember the 10 lbs doesn't include a ground tarp and scouts save money using blue hardware store tarps.]

Overall this tent does all the types of camping that scouts do well, but nothing great.

Thanks for the helpful review of your Scouting tent, Tÿcho.

I use this tent with my wife and 5 year old and there…

I use this tent with my wife and 5 year old and there is plenty of room for the 3 of us. I love this tent, it is fast to set up and take down.I  have used it 4 times in the 6 mos I have had it.

It has plenty of ventilation for summer yet still warm enough for late fall. There has been no condensation inside the tent, it has gone through a heavy rain and no leaking (i sealed the seams and made a footprint). The zippers all work well and it is sturdy.

I would recommend.