Evernew Appalachian Set

Weight 5.67 oz / 161 g (EBY255 + ECA266)
Dimensions 3.7" x 3.4" (9.4cm x 8.7cm)
Capacity 16.9 fl oz / 550 ml

The Appalachian stove's versatility makes Evernew's…

Price Paid: Full Retail

Summary

The Appalachian stove's versatility makes Evernew's stove a necessity in the backcountry, a leader in the industry and a must-have in your backpack!

Pros

• All Titanium (Ti) construction
  • Lightweight at 168g
  • Accommodates
  • Versatility of utilizing alcohol, wood and solid fuel tabs
  • Compact and well built

Cons

• Slower burn time than I'd like
  • Consumes a touch too much alcohol fuel

Evernew's "Ti DX Set w/Stove" (combination stove/flame diffuser/windscreen) was an enthusiastic find! Discussion of Evernew's "Appalachian" set begins below.

While performing an internet search several years ago for alcohol stoves I came across this stove sometime before it was commercially available in the USA. This was the same time I became interested in becoming an ultra-lightweight trekking enthusiast with a need to lighten gear, including my cook kit.

Due to Evernew's claimed weight of 86g (mine weighs 93g) and the multi-fuel versatility including alcohol and solid fuel, I had to have it. I placed myself on a retailer's waiting list and was one of the first to receive it. Ultimately, I had a very difficult time finding one and paid full retail, which I believe was fair for a titanium stove set and well worth the price.

The Appalachian set at camp

The "Ti DX Set w/Stove" (referred to as Ti DX from here on in), Evernew's item #EBY-255, composed entirely of Titanium, includes the stove, item #EBY-254 (if purchased separately) and the windscreen/flame diffuser, item #EBY-257 (if purchase separately)…

EBY255_img1.jpg

Ti DX Stove set Component Break-down

EBY255_img2.jpg

Ti DX Stove set partially assembled with Flame Diffuser leaning against Windscreen

EBY255_img3.jpg

Ti DX Stove set ready for transport or storage (notice the windscreen is now upside down from previous photo)

Evernew's Ti DX set was my introduction to the world of alcohol stoves. Until this time, for very many years, I made use of heavy single-burner Coleman stoves eventually giving way to canister stoves, which I also found to be very cumbersome due to the size and weight of the fuel canisters, particularly when empty. There was absolutely no positive volume savings in my pack once the fuel canister was spent, fuel weight only.

The lack of volume savings seemed such a waste. The canister stoves (I currently own and have owned), in all due respect, may be super lightweight and they burn fast and hot. Thus, making the leap from canister isobutane to denatured alcohol was considerably based on two factors: overall weight in combination with volume (considering the empty isobutane container) savings. There is also the possibility that a canister stove, which may be as light as 30g, malfunctions or clogs, essentially rendering itself useless unless a maintenance kit including parts and tools are carried, a small weight burden but a burden nonetheless.

The Ti alcohol stove has no moving parts, nothing to malfunction. In fact, the only way to destroy this stove is to seriously mistreat it or accidentally step on it yet I believe this highly-durable stove will continue to function in such a mishap.

Setup is easy! Simply set the base/windscreen and stove together on the ground and pour up to 60ml of alcohol fuel into the stove. The stove, incidentally has a 60ml capacity. Now, light the stove using your choice of either a lighter, match stick or magnesium fire starter. My preference is either a magnesium fire starter or lighter, though, I've used them all and they all function well.

The stove will take a minute or so to prime. At this time assemble the upper windscreen/pot support (this is important: horizontal holes on the bottom, vertical holes on the top) and place the flame diffuser (if desired, it does not need to be used) inside the pot stand. You're now ready to place your pot on the support. It's that easy.

If the stove has not fully primed at this time you may continue to place your pot on the stove knowing that you will not extinguish the flame. You'll notice two larger holes in the two halves of the windscreen. I always position these holes on the same side of the unit and, in turn, position the unit so that these holes are downwind to prevent a strong breeze from extinguishing the flame.

Due to the nature of the stove there is absolutely no flame control. I have also used the stove in the exact configuration as the picture immediately above. This setup worked well for me using a skillet. Flame control at this point is by hand, moving the skillet above the flame.

To utilize the stove for wood or solid fuel tabs I would fit the flame diffuser immediately to the inside bottom of the base. You'll now notice how easy it becomes to slide solid fuel onto the flame diffuser. You may now set the upper portion (once again horizontal holes on the bottom, vertical holes on top) of the windscreen/pot support on to the base and you're ready to cook.

If you're using solid fuel tabs and find it more desirable to have the flame closer to the pot you may also place the flame diffuser and solid fuel tab in the top half of the windscreen and light. I, personally have no desire to ever use fuel tabs, albeit the stove easily accommodates this fuel type, I hear they make a big mess. A mess is not what I want on the trail or in my backpack.

I did my research… There are dozens and dozens of alcohol stoves on the market from super lightweight Ti and aluminum stoves to homemade cat can stoves. The design that seemed to trump most other stoves (efficient burn time, ease of use, etc.), seemed to be very similar in design to the Evernew Ti DX, save the fact that this kit will also burn solid fuels and is composed entirely of durable titanium.

Therefore, the Ti DX stove set simply made sense for me… ultimate and essential deciding factors include… an acquired overall weight and volume savings; no moving parts to malfunction and no repair kit needed; the stove's ability to burn several fuel types (extremely important in an emergency or miscalculated fuel equation); and the set is entirely composed of a damage-resistant Ti construction.

Dimensionally, the Ti DX stove set (collapsed dimensions are approximately 3.26" x 2.56") is not much smaller than an isobutane canister but weighs a whole bunch less at 93g. I've tried utilizing any available space inside the stove set once it's collapsed, however, there is relatively little space left. This kit is compact and very well built.

Since I've now made the leap into the world of alcohol stoves I needed a vessel for carrying alcohol that would require as little space as possible. The best I've found is the 800ml capacity PlatyPreserve (Cascade Designs) wine preservation bottle. In the process of consuming fuel this soft-sided flexible bottle pours well and compresses tightly taking up little space when empty; weight of the bottle is negligible at 24g.

I generally use 60ml of fuel per burn, which is plenty to boil 450ml of water and, in an average boil time of 9 minutes (time beginning once the stove is lit), depending on the altitude. That may sound like a slow boil time and indeed it is. I've been able to boil 450ml of water with 30ml of fuel with a more substantial windscreen, no wind or in a controlled environment a minute or so faster but not too much. The stove requires, like any alcohol stove, time to prime before a full flame bloom is obtained.

The 450ml (overall volume 500ml) pot I use to accompany the Ti DX stove set is Evernew's somewhat proprietary 500ml Mug Pot, item #ECA-266 (if purchased separately). Evernew conveniently offers for sale the "Appalachian" set, a combination Ti DX stove set and 500ml Mug Pot, item #ECA-268.

At the time I purchased the Ti DX stove set the Mug Pot had not been an available option and had been immediately ordered once discovered. Here's why (see photo #5)… the Mug Pot's structurally significant design securely compliments the inside of the Ti DX pot support/windscreen perfectly.

Exclusivity has its disadvantages on the trail and although the Mug Pot will work with many other stoves it is indeed designed to compliment the Ti DX set. This design, I have found, virtually eliminates the possibility the entire set will tip over due to reasonably high wind or when you're stirring your meal, a very attractive feature when water, food and consumed calories are imperatively essential to life on the trail.

ECA266_img4.jpg

500ml Mug Pot's Inverted Plateau secures the Mug Pot Inside the Ti DX Windscreen

ECA268_img1.jpg

Evernew's Appalachian set Component Break-down

I've used pots of various brands and volume capacities before purchasing the Mug Pot and none of them had performed as well as the Mug Pot, more than likely because the design allows the Mug Pot to nest closer to the blue (hottest portion) flame. I'm quite sure Evernew's 500ml Mug Pot is the only size available. If you're looking for a larger pot to suite more than one individual you'll need to go with a conventional pot with a diameter of at least 3.50".

The Appalachian set is, in fact, a solo backpacking kit arrangement. When I'm on the trail with a friend I continue to, and desire to fully exploit this entire set. However, there are limitations… due to the size of the pot, I'm boiling 450ml at a time, a couple times or more, and specifically consider alcohol fuel consumption in the equation, knowing that if I should burn all alcohol sooner than calculated or unexpectedly extend my adventure I may alternatively rely on sustainable gathered wood fuel.

I could, of course, carry a larger pot but I choose not to. On a solo backpacking trip, for example, I may boil water to rehydrate my dehydrated breakfast meal and while its rehydrating I'll boil water a second time for coffee. Sounds monotonous but I prefer to enjoy the benefits of the Appalachian set than all else I've carried in the past! Thus, I always carry the Appalachian set along with a separate Ti mug, either a 450ml or 600ml, neither of which I've been able to nest, regardless of the mug manufacturer.

The Ti DX set, incidentally, fits well enough (room to wrap he Ti DX set with a small cloth to baffle all residual noise produced by movement) inside the Mug Pot. The entire set including mesh stuff sack weighs 177g, 168g without the stuff sack. There is a balance of empty space inside the Appalachian set for the small wash cloth, also a lighter or matches and possibly an additional small knick knack but not too much more.

Appalachian set in use (Vargo Ti bottle and mug is NOT part of the Appalachian set)

Overall, I've thoroughly enjoyed using Evernew's Appalachian set and will continue to use it for as long as I continue backpacking. The convenience, size, weight and ability to burn several fuel types makes this stove very advantageous on the trail.

I'd like to mention that although I have never run out of alcohol and have never used it as a wood or fuel tab burning stove I'm sure the time will come and I'll be as pleased with its performance as I am now. I have also never incorporated an additional windscreen. There have been times I may have needed one due to high winds slowing boil time, but the stove has never failed to boil 450ml of water with 60ml of fuel in any condition, temperature, climate or altitude.

The object is to consume as little fuel as needed to burn 450ml of water and the most correct formula I've been able to calculate in optimal conditions is 45ml fuel/450ml water. Moderately high winds, incidentally, have never come close to blowing over the kit while in operation... I've never felt this comfortable with a canister stove.

The Appalachian set has accompanied me to all parts of Arizona from temperatures hovering freezing to altitudes above 10,000' and has always performed flawlessly. Evernew's Appalachian set is indeed highly recommended!

Reach Your Summit!

For conversion simplicity…

30ml = 1oz

454g ≈ 1lb

Field photos copyright, © David Drake; Stock photos courtesy of Evernew.

I am not affiliated in any way, shape or form with Evernew, Cascade Designs, Vargo, Coleman or any other manufacturer or retailer at the time of review. This field review is entirely objective in nature and is meant to provide you with information you may find helpful and/or subjective.

Note: When referencing the weight of equipment I use my personal scale, which has not been calibrated immediately prior to weighing by the office of Weights and Measures or any other official weighing entity and may or may not be completely accurate. When referencing weight obtained from Evernew's website I use the word "claimed" to reference such weight. I suggest you follow the manufacturer's claimed weight before depending on mine.

Appalachian Kit Bio-fuel Update (I feel like I’m revisiting an old friend) Review

For those whom are interested in Bio-Fuel (wood fuel), the following is my updated, hastened review…

On the morning of March 22nd, we camped at a campground that yielded conditions quite favorable for burning bio-fuel.

In addition to cool, comfortable temperatures, a light breeze, and a slight overcast, there was an abundance of perfectly sized bio-fuel within arms reach, ready for the taking.

I spent the entire night with anticipation for the morning to come. Upon waking, I quickly unleashed my Appalachian kit, assembled it specifically to burn bio-fuel, sat down and, with tremendous enthusiasm and excitement, stocked the stove with bio-fuel.

Quickly, I had a fire going. After pouring water into the pot and setting the pot on to the windscreen/pot support, I had a boil at approximately nine minutes. Twice, however, since I had not burned bio-fuel before, the fire had burned out and I needed to restock and relight. And, restocking the fire is an extremely attentive proposition. I quickly gained perspective of the attention bio-fuel stoves actually need.

The stove consumed more fuel than I expected and I was thankful for the abundance, and the within-arms-reach vicinity of fuel. I’m assuming the generous consumption is because of the copious ventilation ports, small chamber size, and high degree of heat this kit must produce. The fuel all seemed to consist of varieties of oak, pine and manzanita, all of which were thoroughly dry.

I was enjoying the process. Five pots of water, in total, were boiled, the last four slightly faster, in the eight minute range, than the first, now that I was an expert at boiling water using bio-fuel.

While enjoying a couple of cups of coffee and our rehydrated breakfasts, here is a pictorial synopsis of our first bio-fuel experience…

img_4097.jpg?w=529&h=396

Not nearly the quantity of fuel consumed but this was my initial gathering…

img_4098.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4099.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4104.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4108.jpg?w=529&h=705

I also used the alcohol stove, without the windscreen/pot support, for boiling water. This time, as you can see, I set the mug directly on the stove. Boiling time was literally twenty minutes for approximately 450ml of water using 2oz. of alcohol. Why? Because the mug sat directly on the larger vent, preventing fuel loss and maintaining direct contact with the mug, preserving fuel while allowing the small jets to consume/boil the water. The stove would burn for, on average, close to twenty three minutes, in total, three minutes after the mug of boiling water was removed, with residual fuel left in the stove. For a second and third cup of boiling water I set a fresh cup on the, still flaming, stove to take advantage of whatever fuel was left behind to raise the temperature, allowing these cups of water to burn slightly faster once the stove was restocked with fuel. For contrast, boil time using alcohol and the pot support/windscreen was on average, nine minutes.

img_4113.jpg?w=529&h=396

In these next two photos, you can easily see how a mug or pot would cover the large diameter vent, leaving the jets exposed to boil water. Very efficient use of fuel but time was greatly consumed…

img_4166.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4167.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4117.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4122.jpg?w=529&h=396

Following five pots of boiling water, there was a tremendous build-up of consumed fuel that needed to be discarded. At this point, five pots of boiling water, in addition to the three mugs of boiling water on the alcohol stove were enough for our morning coffee, breakfast porridge, and fun…

img_4140.jpg?w=529&h=396

What a mess… Sand, as a scouring agent, would have removed most of this sticky end product but I had decided to wait until I returned home to clean it. I didn’t want to take the risk of scratching the pot. If I was backpacking greater than a single night, sand would indeed have been used to scour this clean…

img_4142.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4143.jpg?w=529&h=396

img_4151.jpg?w=529&h=396

The bio-fuel engaged, filthy, Appalachian kit stored inside the ziploc that once held my Ere•The•Dawn™ dehydrated breakfast porridge… for safe transport back to my kitchen sink, where oven cleaner was used to easily clean the kit…

img_4162.jpg?w=529&h=396

Thank you, all, for your patience while I found reasonable conditions to safely use bio-fuel.

Reach Your Summit!

All photos, copyright, WildDrake!

Great review. It's tempting, but they're going to have to knock about $70 off the price to get me to bite. Oh, well!

EtdBob

Now that is a light weight setup! I'm glad it is working well for you. I'm a dedicated Trangia user myself, and I'd miss the simmer ring and screw cap that the Trangia comes with. I gather you just let the Evernew stove burn itself out when you are done using it? It seems to be a much smaller stove than the Trangia. When you heat water for breakfast, do you then have to add more fuel to heat more water for a hot drink, or can it do both with one filling? It is interesting to compare this outfit to the twice-as-heavy "Mini Trangia". I would be interested to learn how well this rig works for you as a mini wood stove. Like Goose, I'll never own this setup because of the cost ( the pot is also too small for me ). But six ounces is impressive! Good review.

David Drake

@GOOSE Thank you! Yes, the price is certainly higher than most but I truly believe in this kit. If you're able to find it somewhere for some percentage off you can't go wrong.

David Drake

@EtdBob Thank you! It is very light indeed! I also have a couple of Gram Weenie, one singe ounce and the other a two ounce, stoves I throw in with this set once in a while. I would have mentioned that in the review but I wanted to focus primarily on the Appalachian. If you're not familiar with them they work fairly well. I'll use one at the same time so that I have two stoves burning. The problem with the Gram Weenies is that they can easily fall over, the single ounce more than the double but they do work well. Both the Appalachian and Gram Weenies need to burn themselves out before adding more fuel. They both burn equally efficient, that is the Appalachian and the 2oz Gram Weenie, so they compliment each other well. Most trips, I head out with only the Appalachian. I use it for day hiking as well and I'll tell you it has had a lot of use since I've had it. When using the Gram Weenies I set the pot directly on the stove without a pot support after the stove has fully primed. Sometimes, this stove is a bit tricky and I end up snuffing the flame after placing the pot on but 7 times out of 10 it works. With both stoves it may sound a bit inefficient to let them burn out, and cool off a bit, before adding more fuel but I'm honestly not worried about running out of alcohol fuel because I'll always have solid wood fuel as a backup. I would feel safe saying that I could use my 600ml Ti mug on the stove immediately after the Mug Pot boiled on the same 2oz of fuel, however, I may not be able to boil more than 450ml of water. I'll have to try that. In fact, I have but my formula for boiling 450ml of water with 45ml of fuel is a tiny bit on the conservative side and have placed a second mug of water on the stove but the 45ml of fuel just isn't enough to boil the second cup. I usually use the last bit of fuel that's burning to reheat my food after I introduced the boiling water to rehydrate my food or to further warm my coffee. The 450ml Mug Pot, I find, is too small for most people I talk to but I enjoy going as light-weight as possible. In regard to using the Appalachian as a wood stove, I'll head out sometime this winter and deliberately light wood in there and note all calculations, take pictures, post the results here and send you a quick note to let you know it's posted. One of these days I'd like to try the Trangia. In fact, the Trangia was my going to be my first alcohol stove purchase until I found the Ti DX. Thank again, EtdBob. Hope to see you guys on the trail someday!!!

Bentbrook

You may want to explore Trail Designs Caldera Cone. I swear by my Ti-Tri. The cone is amazingly efficient, a pot rest too, and also a windscreen.

David Drake

@Bentbrook I'm a huge fan of Trail Designs, ordered from them many times! I had ordered and received the Trail Designs Caldera Cone system and, since it's been a few years, I'm not definitively sure if it was the Ti-Tri but it most likely was. It is a great system but I had returned it for a reason I simply cannot recall, something was amiss. You're right about the efficiency of the system and I do remember that that was one of the reasons I ordered it, and I am fairly sure it was the Ti system. I generally go with Ti if possible. The customer service at Trail Designs gets two big thumbs up! In fact, if you've read my posts it may sound like I've had/have quite a few stoves. My girlfriend, often enough, questions why I need to carry more than one stove with me when I head out on the trail. My answer is that I may wish to explore with one over the other, or all, I enjoy having options… something I'm sure all of us, here, fully understand. This is why I reviewed the Appalachian… it's the stove I use most and for many reasons. I was actually considering the Ti-Tri once again for my girlfriend (it's really for me now, isn't it?) a few months back and I'm still considering. I'm just not sure if she has the same sort of stove fetish that I do. In any case… the Trail Designs Ti-Tri is a top-notch system and one anyone would enjoy having! Thanks, Bentbrook. Keep your boots on the trail!!

Bentbrook

David, I agree that customer service at TD is great. Rand is great—I love a company whose head replies personally to e-mail inquiries! I was very interested in your review because I confess I am both a gear junkie and a stove addict (sounds like you may have some symptoms of the latter malaise!). Plus if I were to get this stove, I would add yet another pot to my gear, and I suspect we all like to have a few different ones floating about. . . . options, as you noted (I second your thoughts about the advantages of having a multifuel system). If you do get another TD caldera, I'd be curious about including side by side comparison musings in a review. Of course if I cave and end up with an Appalachian, I may beat you to it. Maybe I need to start buying gear for my, er, wife (even though she never camps). :) . . . Happy trails!

David Drake

@Bentbrook We're all apparently victims of desire, excuse, contemplation, attitude, necessity, imagination, etc. I want, therefore I am, and only after we've been there and done that and have experienced the good, the bad and the ugly. A full 25% of my equipment is purchased entirely for myself but with my girlfriends welfare in mind (wink wink), thinking, I can justify the purchase if and only if the benefit is dispersed between the two of us, regardless of whether it really is. And, if prosperity has no plausible benefit, I'll find a way to create it out of thin air to make all parties believe the benefit is greater than means. Therefore, in the morning, she'll wake, suddenly finding the more comfortable sleeping pad has found itself miraculously beneath myself, wondering how in the world that may have happened, and I'm totally pleading the fifth… I honestly don't know, dear. I have now single-handedly and universally made the world a better place to live… more product, more enthusiasm, more happiness, but best of all, more product, FOR YOU… get the Appalachian for yourself, er, wife for Valentines day… she'll appreciate the fact that you care enough for her to make sure her personal welfare is well taken care of :)

Joseph Renow

Great review of an interesting cook-system...I am really interested in how well this system works with bio-fuels...as this is the main appeal to me (a lot of potential weight savings). If (when) you decide (need) to use bio-fuels with this system please update it and let me know.

David Drake

I will, Joseph. Next time I head out I plan on using bio-fuel if the terrain will allow me to do so. There is currently a red-flag fire danger warning in effect for all southeast Arizona and there's a chance it may have to wait. I'm planning two hikes this weekend, I'm either heading to the Dragoon's for an overnight, or the Rincons for a Manning camp or bust 24-mile day hike (decision will be made Friday). If conditions allow, for which ever trip I choose, I will certainly report the details.

David Drake

Bio-fuel must wait… This past weekend I tramped off-trail, backpacking the Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoon mountain range, southeast Arizona. Despite a fire danger warning reported as surprisingly moderate, according to the national park service, I camped in an area that would not allow me to safely use bio-fuel. Within the next couple of weeks, I'm sure I will have a better opportunity to use bio-fuel. In any case, if conditions permit, I will use bio-fuel!

EtdBob

It's surprisingly warm and dry in Arizona right now, isn't it? I just got back from the Grand Canyon and I imagine southeast of there must be worse. On the way back I stopped at an Army Surplus store and bought an old six dollar Swedish issue alcohol stove. I couldn't resist. It is bigger than the civilian Trangia burner. When I got home I weighed it - The burner alone is about five and a half ounces! That made me think of this setup, six ounces total. Yes, that is a light rig ya got there!

David Drake

@EtdBob Amazingly light! The windscreen and pot support are nothing more than Ti sheet metal. The stove is composed of a heavier gauge Ti and is quite strong. With care, I expect this stove to last a lifetime. I was suddenly interested in finding the receipt and the date I actually purchased this stove… I've been using this a bit longer than I thought, since February 4, 2010. Not a scratch, not a dent or ding after 4 years of use. I find that impressive. One of these days I do need to try a Trangia, although I've found nothing on the market, as of late, that could replace the versatility of this Evernew. It is way too warm and dry at the moment here in southern, AZ! I'll be celebrating my 11th year in Tucson in July and I've never witnessed a winter quite so warm. This is, after all, our time to camp and hike. As soon as I'm able, I am all too excited to employ bio-fuel. One of the problems, which is certainly not a problem in any other aspect, is that when I head north in elevation I'm essentially traveling through biotic zones that make it more dangerous to burn bio-fuel than desert. One of these days, we'll get a good rainfall… and we'll be cookin'!

David Drake

Hello all, If you've commented on this review I'm assuming you may be receiving a message that a post has been uppdated/added, with myself posting this message. I may also see if a forum post may be worthy of attracting those whom may not have seen an update. And, I can contact those whom were particularly interested in bio-fuels.

Joseph Renow

Hey David...that's a great little stove...so versatile...thanks for testing it in bio-mode. So overall...what do you feel are the significant differences between the different fuel modes (one better than the other?)...and what kind of flame control did you feel you had when in bio-mode?

David Drake

It really is, Joseph! And, you're welcome!! I prefer the ease and control of alcohol over bio-fuel and there is no clean-up. Bio-fuel, on the other hand is free, however, may be site and conditions prohibitive. If I were thru-hiking, I would make every attempt to use bio-fuel, if supported. Otherwise, I can conservatively go four days, two people, on 750ml of alcohol. I had absolutely no flame control issues with the bio-fuel. There was no control needed, other than the attention the fire needs to keep the flame alive. Not once did the flame ever erupt profusely. Honestly, I didn't need to boil five pots of water but I was having too much fun!

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

Have to thank ya, David, for writing this [more than thorough] review. Put me on the hunt, and wound up buying a used one (saved some serious coin). Like yourself, only plan using it as an alcohol stove - but value the multipurpose/multifuel design in case I ever need it. The small capacity is tricky: a box of macaroni-and-cheese just barely makes it inside (using 10 oz of water and relying on a cozy to fully "cook" the noodles). Should note, too, that the convex "plateau" built into the pot bottom does make for a little more dishwashing work than a flat-bottomed-mug. Not a deal-breaker, but noteworthy still. Biggest problem - and maybe you could help me out on this - is the short handles. They get very hot and it's tricky to transfer the pot without losing some knuckle hairs in the process. I've found a supplemental wind block (not necessarily a proper windscreen) does improve the efficiency. Will say, though - I've yet to find anything that packs as small and as smartly as this. Really happy with it, and next to my shelter, probably my favorite piece of gear. Thanks again for introducing me, sir!

David Drake

You are very welcome, Eric! Great to hear you purchased one at less than full price. The price is a deal breaker for many but, as we found out, the benefits outweigh the price. I have used both a small sheet of fiberglass that I have and a thin sheet of silicone mat as handle grips. More often than not the wind is blowing and I try to position and re-position the handle downwind of the flame. I don't often cook food in the pot, maybe 10% of the time, generally because I can't afford the water to clean it. The desert forces me to haul the water and finding water is usually quite impossible. I can tell you that I used this pot to cook a dehydrated egg product, I believe it was a Backpacker's Pantry product. In order to clean the pot, and yes, I should probably have used a non-stick skillet, I had to resort to a BBQ grill cleaner and at least a dozen scrubbings before the egg came off the pot. I have only rehydrated home-made dehydrated food in it since and clean-up is really just a couple of cloth wipes. Once again, good to hear you enjoy yours. Mine is still going strong and I've never had a single problem with it. Believe I have my money's worth!!