ExOfficio Reef Runner Lite Long-Sleeve Shirt

The lightest and best ventilated nylon shirt I've…

Summary

The lightest and best ventilated nylon shirt I've ever owned!

Pros

• Ventilation
  • Weight
  • Versatility

Cons

• Price

Wow!...I really love this shirt. I have been using nylon shirts for bug protection for several years now...but I have always disliked how stuffy nylon is. The tight weave that defends against insect bites also makes these shirts considerably windproof...which is not always been a bad thing...as these shirts have more than once been a delight as an insulative layer on unexpectedly cool summer nights.

However...more often than not I am using these shirts in camp on hot muggy nights to defend against insect bites...and as a result I have often forgone the added protection of a nylon shirt (never my trekking pants and socks!) to stay cool...and dreamed of the day they would invent a shirt that is both comfortable on muggy nights while still providing excellent protection against insect bites.

I think Exofficio has done just that (or at least moved in that direction more than anyone else)...and the key I think is in the decision to use a lighterweight fabric and the introduction of ventilating mesh running down both sides of the shirt where the front and back of the shirt are sewn together (think really long pit-zips). The mesh is very subtle...so the shirt is very much appropriate for everyday use as it is use in the bush...and though they use a lighterweight fabric I have not had a problem with insect penetration (this shirt has only seen a year of heavy use...but it has been attacked relentlessly in the Ozarks!). In addition to the mesh sides and lightweight fabric the shirt provides roll-up sleeve tabs and mesh across the back and shoulders commonly found in similar shirts.

I have already mentioned that the shirt provides a little extra insulation...but the shirt also provides +30 UPF sun protection...while drying quickly and resisting stains. As if the added comfort...effectiveness...and versatility of this shirt were not enough...two additional features have me gushing over this product...and a product I highly recommend for anyone you can afford the steep price of ExOfficio clothing.

The two additional features being the forward shifted shoulder seams and the non-baffled chest pockets. I (like many I suspect)...get a little irritated where my backpack rubs my shoulders on miltiday hiking trips...so I have made it a policy to stay away from (as much as possible and affordable) shoulder seams which are situated at the top of my shoulders. The chest pockets are just a personal preference...as I find big puffy pockets on the chest of my shirts both unnecessary and bothersome...as I always seem to get things caught on them. Plus...the front zip security pockets give the shirt a decidedly less "jungle" look...that while not important...is something I find I no less prefer.

So I clearly love this shirt...but like all ExOffico gear I think the price is simply ridiculous...not Patagonia+TNF ridiculous...but still ridiculous. I had decided to experiment with the shirt this winter...so I stalked the product on Amazon till I was able to snatch one up at a more reasonable price (which I do all the time and am rewarded with a colorful array of clothing for my trouble)...but it is a strategy I cannot recommend enough!

reef-runner.jpg

Visit ExOfficio's Men's Reef Runner Lite Long-Sleeve Shirt page.

The ExOfficio Reef Runner L/S Shirt is an ideal travel companion. Designed to last through the longest days, this shirt will protect you from the sun, dry quickly after impromptu swims, and provide excellent ventilation due to the mesh side panels. Ultralite mesh vents run along side seams from wrist to underarm to shirt hem Ultralite mesh across back shoulders Critical seams moved off the shoulder to prevent rubbing Two horizontal security zip chest pockets Drop-in gadget pocket on left chest Small utility loop on front left pocket Box pleated back for enhanced mobility Roll-up sleeve tabs UPF 30+ Quick drying Water resistant Moisture wicking Wrinkle resistant Lightweight Relaxed Fit

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Whether you fly fish in Idaho or deep-sea fish off the coast of New Jersey, the Ex Officio Men's Reef Runner Lite Button-Down Long-Sleeve Shirt protects you from the sun and keeps you cool in hot weather. The quick-drying nylon Reef Runner Shirt provides UPF-30 sun protection and wicks your perspiration away from your skin. Ultralite mesh underarm and side panels let air circulate to keep you from overheating. Ex Officio gave the Reef Runner zippered security pockets so you can carry your fishing license or other important documents. Roll-up sleeve tabs let you convert this long-sleeve shirt into a short-sleeve one.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. ExOfficio Men's Reef Runner LS Woven FEATURES of the ExOfficio Men's Reef Runner Long Sleeve Woven Button front placket 2 security zip pockets Drop-in gadget pocket on left chest Small utility loop on front left pocket Side mesh ventilation system Roll-up sleeve tabs Lightweight Quick Drying Ventilation Moisture Wicking Sun Guard 30+ SPECIFICATIONS of the ExOfficio Men's Reef Runner Long Sleeve Woven Ultralite Nylon: 100% Nylon Relaxed fit

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

The ExOfficio Reef Runner is perfectly engineered for all your active warm weather getaways.

- EMS refers to the men's version