Exped DownMat 9

Packed 24 x 16 cm / 9 x 6 in 27 x 16 cm / 11 x 6 in
Fill Weight 250 g / 9 oz 320 g / 11 oz
Temperature - 38° C / - 36° F - 38° C / - 36° F
R-value 8 8

Very comfortable, well built and warm pad. If you…

Summary

Very comfortable, well built and warm pad.

Pros

• Thickness
  • Comfort
  • Warmth
  • Dual purpose

Cons

• Slow to inflate / deflate
  • Expensive

If you want to be comfortable and warm in the backcountry this is the pad to get! In fact it is good enough to replace your car camping pad, making the price more acceptable and may be the last one you ever buy.

This pad has a built-in pump system, and has some down filling making it very warm. The pump system takes a while to inflate, but keeps moisture out of the pad. The comfort level far out weighs the minor hassle of taking longer to inflate. When car or boat camping I take a small battery operated pump with me that will inflate in seconds.

It comes in different sizes. I got a long, wide model, as comfort was my main goal but I still take this backpacking over my other smaller but only slightly lighter 20" pads as I don't feel like I am falling off it as much in the night.

I also got the available cover and chair kit for the pad. This is also a great product. It provides a less slippery and protective surface, for the base pad, and has a rod and strap system that alows you to pull a few straps and lounge with a backrest in your tent, or make into a chair fit for a king at the campsite! Just be very carefull around the fire! (I also bring a small wool blanket to cover and keep sparks off, does double duty for keeping the dog warm!)

This setup Works Awesome! When backpacking many times I will ditch the tent to save enough weight to be able to take this combo instead. I use it with just a tarp or bug hat so I can just sleep under the stars.

Highly recomended!

I bought this mat about a year ago and so far it has…

Pros

• Extremely comfortable
  • Very warm

Cons

• Somewhat loud if moving around in sleeping bag
  • Takes a fairly long time to inflate

I bought this mat about a year ago and so far it has performed admirably. The built-in pump is vastly superior to the 2-way valve used on self-inflating mats, though it does take a pretty long time to inflate. When inside a tent, it can be a bit difficult to use depending on space.

This mat packs down smaller than any self inflating mattress I have ever owned or seen. The stuff-sack is large enough that even with a little bit of air inside, it still fits nicely.

Even having been used in temperatures around -25° Celsius, the Exped manages to keep the bottom of your sleeping bag warm and comfortable. Having said that, the mattress is very loud if you move around in your sleep. This seems like a fairly minor thing, but if you are a light sleeper, the scraping between mattress and sleeping bag could wake you up.

This pad is both warm and comfortable. Packs down…

Source: bought it used

Summary

This pad is both warm and comfortable. Packs down relatively small.

Pros

• Warm
  • Compact

Cons

• Inflation
  • Expensive

Filling a pad with down is such a great idea. It insulates very well and as I have slept on snow and ice multiple times, I haven't felt the cold underneath me at all. It is very comfortable. With the outside baffles being slightly larger than the interior ones it helps keep you from easily rolling off the pad.

Inflating pad is time consuming and takes the most patience. The pump is part of the pad and it can be a little awkward to line your hands up to pump it up efficiently, but it gets the job done. It also takes some time to deflate.

It seems to be made well, so far after a half dozen outings with it there are no real signs of wear and tear and I also bought it slightly used.

I LOVE THIS SLEEPING PAD!!! No it's not the lightest…

I LOVE THIS SLEEPING PAD!!!

No it's not the lightest nor does it roll up into a tiny little package, but it's the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on (next to my bed at home of course) and it's easy to inflate/deflate. It also fits into my Big Agnes sleeping bag sleeve.

For those of you who have a hard time sleeping on the trail this is a huge step in the right direction.  THANK YOU, Exped... you are my heroes!