Fällkniven DC4 Diamond/Ceramic Whetstone

It's small, slim so it takes up little space. Will…

Summary

It's small, slim so it takes up little space. Will fit on a knife sheath or in a pocket. Best of all, it works well.

Pros

• No need for water or oil
  • The diamond side removes metal, the ceramic side cleans up burrs
  • Small size = easy to carry

Cons

• The diamond side is thin and the ceramic wears a bit faster with use then I'd like
  • Difficult to use without a work surface

The DC4 is a great size, no hassle whet stone. Because there is no need for oil or water, this stone is ideal for in the field blade upkeep. It's small enough to replace a whet stone that comes with some knives and fits in the pocket on the sheath but big enough to run a larger blade across without too much hassle. But the best part about the DC4 is that it works!

The diamond side can take off a surprising amount of steel if you are not careful and the ceramic side can get a blade scary sharp in a few passes. I carry a Leatherman Charge and a Browning backcountry when in the field (2 fairly different size blades) and the DC4 handles both blades well.

I've never had to completely restore a blade in the field sense I use knives for knife work and an axe or saw for wood processing so I cannot speak on the DC4's performance for someone who is hard on edges. I have however gotten an old German kitchen knife scary sharp with a bit of effort. Now with the slim profile and small size means the Ceramic and diamond side will not last as long as a larger whet stone (Thus my ceramic side is noticeably thinner). That being said, I have found that I use fewer passes on this stone then some of my others.

All in all, if you use a knife regularly when out, you know how important it is to keep it sharp and this stone will do just that. I've had mine for about 6 months now and use it both in and outdoors on a verity of blades when I need a quick, sharp edge.