Gear Aid Sil Net Silicone Seam Sealer

Sil Net is a silicone seam sealer made by McNett outdoors…

Usage: seam sealer
Ease of Use: easy

Sil Net is a silicone seam sealer made by McNett outdoors in Bellingham, Washington.  The tube I have is 1.5 oz and comes in a squeeze tube similar to toothpaste.

I first used SilNet to seal the seam on the tarp I use for my hammock. The product comes with a brush that is used to lightly apply the product to the seam. It seems easy enough. However, more is not better! I quickly learned that a little of this product goes a long way. That's good because one tube will last you a long time.

Applying the product very sparsely is the secret and giving it time to cure (about 8 hours in warm weather - longer is better) will provide you with a quality, durable seal. It dries clear and remains soft and pliable to the touch.

I have tried several other seam sealers.  Most notably the Coleman product that is readily available in the local Wal Mart. SilNet is FAR superior to these other products - especially if you are working with silicone ripstop nylon fabric.

So far, the SilNet has lasted at least two years for me. Most of my camping is in the southeast where it is very hot and humid. The tarp is many times a source of shade as well as shelter from the rain. This means it is in direct sun on days when the temps are near 100 degrees.  In other words, it's semi abuse of the product.

I try to take good care of my gear and fold it up nicely when not in use.  But, let's face it, when you're in the woods, sometimes time and weather don't allow you to use the most care.

Despite that, this product has performed very well for me and I would highly recommend its use.  It is the only seam sealer I will use.

Daniel Oates

jcreamer, have you had any issues with the product being tacky after applying and it has cured? Also, as I've read reviews going back and forth, did you apply the seal to the inside of the hammock tarp or outside? Thanks!