Gerber Crucial FAST

Somewhat heavy and klugy, but mostly well built and…

Summary

Somewhat heavy and klugy, but mostly well built and functional.

Pros

• Well made
  • Tools actually work

Cons

• Heavy
  • Bulky

I originally purchased an earlier generation of the Crucial which I found pretty useless. The drivers on that one were too small to be of any real use. I mentioned this to a clerk where I bought it (REI) and he gave me this newer one in exchange, no questions asked.  I was not happy with the product, REI remedied that problem.  So now I have the Crucial F.A.S.T..

The drivers are longer and seem to work better, the knife blade has the assisted-opening so it is quicker to deploy, and the pliers...well, don't tackle anything requiring great torque. Fix a stove or other small device and you can expect it to work OK.

For the money and the weight, you don't get a lot of tools with this item. Upon further reflection, I wonder why we feel we have to put all our tools on one platform? A screw-driver with interchangeable bits, a pair slip joint pliers, and a good single blade knife would not weigh much more that this and the tools would all work better.  However, the drool factor would be less, I guess.

Overall, the tool is OK, but I don't carry it. It is sitting patiently in a a spare emergency kit, waiting for an opportunity to prove me wrong.

Gerber Crucial FAST

The Gerber Crucial FAST is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 18, 2014 at Mountains Plus.

If you're looking for a new multi-tool, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016