Gerber Crucial FAST

Somewhat heavy and klugy, but mostly well built and…

Summary

Somewhat heavy and klugy, but mostly well built and functional.

Pros

• Well made
  • Tools actually work

Cons

• Heavy
  • Bulky

I originally purchased an earlier generation of the Crucial which I found pretty useless. The drivers on that one were too small to be of any real use. I mentioned this to a clerk where I bought it (REI) and he gave me this newer one in exchange, no questions asked.  I was not happy with the product, REI remedied that problem.  So now I have the Crucial F.A.S.T..

The drivers are longer and seem to work better, the knife blade has the assisted-opening so it is quicker to deploy, and the pliers...well, don't tackle anything requiring great torque. Fix a stove or other small device and you can expect it to work OK.

For the money and the weight, you don't get a lot of tools with this item. Upon further reflection, I wonder why we feel we have to put all our tools on one platform? A screw-driver with interchangeable bits, a pair slip joint pliers, and a good single blade knife would not weigh much more that this and the tools would all work better.  However, the drool factor would be less, I guess.

Overall, the tool is OK, but I don't carry it. It is sitting patiently in a a spare emergency kit, waiting for an opportunity to prove me wrong.

Visit Gerber's Crucial FAST page.

As stylish as your favorite knife, but packed with essential features like your favorite Gerber Multi-Plier. Despite its compact, lightweight size, the Crucial Tool delivers big, full-function components including: flat head screw driver, v-cut wire cutters, knife, and bottle opener. Limited lifetime warranty. Overall length: 5.5" (F.A.S.T. 5.8"). Closed length: 3.6" (F.A.S.T. 4.8"). Wt: 5.0 oz (F.A.S.T. 5.8 oz).

- Mountains Plus

The Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T. multitool combines the light, compact design and smooth style of your favorite pocket knife with the full-function components of a multitool. Features F.A.S.T. (Forward Action Spring Technolog) spring-assisted blade opening mechanism for quick, easy deployment. Safety lock on the blade keeps it securely in place for worry-free use. Stainless-steel, blunt-tip blade is partially serrated. Spring-loaded needlenose pliers make deployment quick and easy. The Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T. multitool also sports a bottle opener, Phillips screwdriver, standard screwdriver, wire cutter.