Gerber Freeman Guide

I bought this to be my primary fixed blade camping…

Summary

I bought this to be my primary fixed blade camping knife but it is too small IMO to serve that purpose (at least for someone with my size hands). I still think it's a good knife for its size and for a smaller person I believe it will work well.

Pros

• Full tang, decently thick blade
  • Nice finger and thumb grooves etched into the handle for added grip
  • Good gripping material
  • Holds an edge well
  • Good backup knife

Cons

• Handle is too small for my hands
  • Overall knife length is too short to be a fully functional camp knife

As I mentioned in the Big Rock review, I bought this knife first thinking it'd be larger than it turned out to be. I have the Gerber Freeman Guide folding knife and it's actually larger and beefier than the fixed blade version. I wasn't disappointed in the knife itself, just its size. I ended up ordering the Big Rock which better suits my purpose for a primary knife.

I kept this one as a backup knife or for when one of my daughters need a smaller, sturdier knife for certain camp chores. It fits their hands pretty well. The sheath is an inexpensive canvas with a plastic insert to protect the blade and sheath. It is functional and what's to be expected for a $25 knife.

Overall not a bad knife, just be aware of its size.

Visit Gerber's Freeman Guide page.

Gerber's Freeman Guide Fine Edge Knife features full tang construction and a TacHide(TM) handle onlay. It makes the Freeman Guide Fixed blade a must have for hunters.Lightweight Handle - Easy to carryTacHide(TM) Onlay - For secure grip in all conditionsFull Fine Edge Blade or Gut HookNylon Sheath - Wear resistantDrop PointBlade Length: 4.0 in.Overall Length: 8.4 in.Weight: 4.4 oz.

- Campmor

Full tang construction and a TacHide(TM) onlay make the Freeman Guide Fixed blade a must have for hunters.

- Ramsey Outdoor

Gerber Freeman Guide

The Gerber Freeman Guide is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 9, 2013 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new fixed-blade knife, check out the best reviewed current models.