Gerber Freeman Guide

I bought this to be my primary fixed blade camping…

I bought this to be my primary fixed blade camping knife but it is too small IMO to serve that purpose (at least for someone with my size hands). I still think it's a good knife for its size and for a smaller person I believe it will work well.

• Full tang, decently thick blade
  • Nice finger and thumb grooves etched into the handle for added grip
  • Good gripping material
  • Holds an edge well
  • Good backup knife

• Handle is too small for my hands
  • Overall knife length is too short to be a fully functional camp knife

As I mentioned in the Big Rock review, I bought this knife first thinking it'd be larger than it turned out to be. I have the Gerber Freeman Guide folding knife and it's actually larger and beefier than the fixed blade version. I wasn't disappointed in the knife itself, just its size. I ended up ordering the Big Rock which better suits my purpose for a primary knife.

I kept this one as a backup knife or for when one of my daughters need a smaller, sturdier knife for certain camp chores. It fits their hands pretty well. The sheath is an inexpensive canvas with a plastic insert to protect the blade and sheath. It is functional and what's to be expected for a $25 knife.

Overall not a bad knife, just be aware of its size.

Gerber Freeman Guide

The Gerber Freeman Guide is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 9, 2013 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new fixed-blade knife, check out the best reviewed current models.