Gerber Gator Machete

Junk! Stay clear of this thing. Broke within the first…

Price Paid: $15 on Amazon

Summary

Junk! Stay clear of this thing.

Pros

• Good concept

Cons

• Cheap made
  • Not full tang
  • Dull saw teeth
  • Weak thin blade

Broke within the first 2 hours of use. We do a lot of bushwacking here in the south. A good strong machete can save you a lot of headaches. Most of my gear I test up at our camp. We have 600+ acres to do nearly anything with. I took this thing up there to do some trail blazing, and ended up doing nothing but pissing myself off.

I can't believe how cheap Gerber went on this one. The blade broke from the handle. Which is one reason I say to never go with any fixed blade unless its full tang. The concept of the saw back is a good idea, but not if you're working with something that's not full tang. While doing some saw work on branches no wider than my wrist, the blade snapped from the handle. Before I knew what happened, I had the front side of the blade hurling toward my face. Lucky my mad Jedi skills kicked in (just kidding, guys) and I dodged it from slicing into my head.

Please take my advice and don't bother spending your hard earned money on this machete. And if you value any of your extremities... avoid it.

Visit Gerber's Gator Machete page.

The Gerber Gator machete weighs just over 1 lb. and features both a cutting edge and a saw to wreak havoc on weeds and other invasive plants.

The Gator Machete sports Gerber's proprietary Gator rubber grip for ergonomic control while using either the fine edge blade on one side, or the saw on the other. The riveted, nylon sheath provides safe, durable transport.

- Mountains Plus

The Gator Machete sports our proprietary Gator rubber grip for ergonomic control while using either the fine edge blade on one side, or the saw on the other. The riveted, nylon sheath provides safe, durable transport.

- Ramsey Outdoor

You could use the Gerber Gator Machete to fight off crocs in the Everglades, but it's also well-suited for any excursion from bushwhacking through the Costa Rican jungle to clearing out the shoulder-height weeds in your back yard. The Gator Machete sports a 15-inch fine-edge blade on one side and a 15-inch saw blade on the other. With cutting power like this in your hands, you'll be glad this huge knife features Gerber's proprietary Gator grip for ergonomic control. This machete comes in a heavy duty nylon sheath--the same fabric originally developed for use in bulletproof vests.