Gerber Torch I

I've had this knife for 3+ years and in that time…

I've had this knife for 3+ years and in that time it has been thoroughly abused. I've used it to cut open aluminum cans, scrape out metal pipe threads, cut up dinner on the trail, sharpen sticks, open packages, and as a pry bar.  It's none the worse for wear!  A few runs through the knife sharpener and it's ready to go again.

I've bought other knives with the intention to replace it because it's a bit heavy, but they've generally been too light for me to notice when they fall out of my pocket.

I also like that this knife feels great in my hand. When open, the finger guard is large enough that I'm confident my hand won't slip, even when it's wet. The finger contours on the bottom and the ridges along the back further ensure your grip won't budge.

Also, the locking mechanism on it snaps shut when you open it and holds securely.  The simplicity of the lock makes it easy for people not familiar with the knife to be able to use it.

My biggest complaint, and reason for 4 stars, is that it is difficult to open with one hand. Graphite, grease, oil, you name it, it doesn't seem to help very much. The part that locks back is a piece of pre-bent metal that springs under the knife blade to lock it open (which I like), but the strength of the spring creates too much resistance and hinders the opening process.

Pros:  Durable, strong, holds edge well, excellent finger guard, locking mechanism

Cons: Hard to open with one hand after not too much use (different lubricants don't seem to help for very long either), heavy (may be a pro or con)

Visit Gerber's Torch I page.

Gerber's Torch(TM) I knife features an innovative frame-locking system, enabling smooth and easy opening with one hand. Dual thumb studs and finger flip provide fast, one-handed opening; finger flip protects finger from blade edge. Fine edge blade is forged from high-grade surgical stainless steel. Frame-lock safety mechanism keeps blade securely in place. Textured nylon inserts in handle ensure a firm grip. Stainless-steel pocket clip allows safe, easy carrying.

Still the same compact, easy-to-carry knife as the original Gerber Torch, but with a fine edge drop point blade, dual thumb studs and finger flip for fast, one-handed opening. The unique frame-lock safety mechanism and finger flip protect, while the stainless steel handle features textured glass-filled nylon inserts to ensure a secure grip.Thumb stud.Finger flip. Frame lock. Lanyard attachment. Pocket clip. Blade Material: 440A stainless steel.Handle Material: Stainless steel with textured glass-filled nylon inserts.Overall Length: 6.3".Length Closed: 3.6". Length of Blade: 2.7". Weight: 3.2 oz.

- Campmor

Gerber Torch I

The Gerber Torch I is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 2, 2012 at REI.

If you're looking for a new folding knife, check out the best reviewed current models.