GoLite UltraLite 1+ Season Quilt

Max user height 5 ft 6 in / 168 cm 6 ft 0 in / 183 cm 6 ft 6 in / 198 cm
Shoulder girth 53 in / 135 cm 56 in / 142 cm 59 in / 150 cm
Hip girth 47 in / 119 cm 48 in / 122 cm 49 in / 124 cm
Foot girth 36 in / 90 cm 39 in / 99 cm 40 in / 102 cm

Great, super light 800+ fill down quilt at a great…

Summary

Great, super light 800+ fill down quilt at a great price. Packs very small.

Pros

• Packs small
  • Warm

Cons

• Material is delicate

The Purchase:  I bought this quilt because I was looking for a lightweight quilt at a reasonable price. GoLite was selling it on their website for $119, but it was out of stock, I found another site that was selling it for $129, so I bought it. I haven't found any other quilt, especially high loft down, anywhere near this price.

Warmth: I have only used it in warmer weather with a night time temperature of about 60°F. I was plenty warm in it and had it half draped over me. I haven't had a chance to use it in cooler temperatures yet.

Fit and entry/exit: I got the short size, I'm about 5'4"-5'5", so it fits. It is a quilt, not a sleeping bag, so it has a foot box that comes up to the lower calf and the rest of the back is open. There are two loops on each side with removable straps to tighten the quilt around you. I would only use these if it's colder and I want the quilt cinched tightly around me to keep warm.

There is also a snap at the top behind the neck and a cord to tighten. Without the straps all you need to do to get in is insert your feet, you can also snap the snap behind the neck. With the straps, it's a drop more complicate; you either have to put them in after the quilt is around you or lift yourself over them as you get in. I need the straps in order to keep the edges under me.

Moisture:  The material near the head and feet is waterproof, though not the rest of it.

Packability and Loft:  The quilt, being down, easily packs into the small (I think 6" x 9") stuff sack and puffs up well after unpacking. It appears to puff up about 3 or 4 inches.

Conditions and Construction:  I have only used it 3 or 4 times, though it only weighs about a pound, takes up very little space in my pack, and keeps me plenty warm. I haven't used it in wet conditions, thought the weather was humid and foggy.  The material feels delicate and I would try to be extra careful with it, making sure to always wear socks so I don't rip a hole in it with a toe nail.

What website did you find it on?

Joseph Renow

sammy...do you know what kind of baffling is used (sewn-through or internal)?

Sammy312

I found it at ultralite outfitters. It uses internal baffling, GoLite calls it "differentially cut stretch baffles"

Joseph Renow

Thanks Sammy...differential just means that the inside of the bag is smaller than the outside of the bag.

and T.A.R.D.I.S. means the inside of the bag is larger than the outside of the bag...but those are hard to come by.

For sport motorcycle camping, near ideal. I replaced…

Price Paid: $139 tall size

Summary

For sport motorcycle camping, near ideal.

Pros

• Packs up compactly
  • Surprisingly warm
  • Good price for 800 fill down
  • Long size

Cons

• The awkward under matress straps

I replaced the straps with elastic straps from REI. They hold the sides close enough for warmth, but allow lots of turning. I use a micro fleece full zip bag liner for a most versatile outfit. Along with my All Season Thermarest Air mattress and inflatable pillow with a cotton pillow case I'm set.

I appreciate the snap behind my head for the coldest set up too. Any colder and I do not want to be out on my bike. I estimate I was comfortable down to about 25deg once at 9,000 feet. Thankfully it was a sunny morning and the ride was awesome!

I can't find these anywhere. Bummer!

GoLite UltraLite 1+ Season Quilt

The GoLite UltraLite 1+ Season Quilt is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 30, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new warm weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.