Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter

I have been using my SpinnShelter for about two years…

Design: Three-season sub-alpine ultralight tarp.
Ease of Setup: Anyone familiar with a tarp will find it simple.
Weight: nine ounces

I have been using my SpinnShelter for about two years with great success in widely varying conditions from the Smoky Mountains to the Rockies. Nothing I have been able to find compares to the weight/performance ratio of this shelter.

Weighing 9 ounces dry and being compactable to the size of a grapefruit makes this the F-1 Ferrari of one-person tarp shelters. The material it's made from is unbelievably lightweight non-stretch sail fabric which surpasses SilNylon in that it does not sag and is much lighter. It's easy to pitch with poles or between two trees and adjustment is simple.

Being a tarp makes it extremely versatile so that you can either set it up for full coverage like the picture here or open it up for ventilation on any side.

I am a very satisfied customer of Gossamer Gear. They are serious about ultralight backpacking.

Greeting, I have used the SpinnShelter on many backpacking…

Design: three-season tarp
Ease of Setup: farely easy could get difficult in windy conditions
Weight: 11.5 oz.

Greeting,

I have used the SpinnShelter on many backpacking adventures. I believe that it is one of the most advanced designed tarps out there. On nights when the weather (windy conditions) is not so great the full protection tarp shelters perfectly.

I remember on one of my first trips with the tarp everyone around me was amazed at how light it was (only 11.5 oz. with poles). Some even doubted that this would work. But in fact it could easily get lost in my pack. This is a perfect addition to my 5 lbs. and below base weight pack. Also its pitch is set up so that it is fairly easy to achieve a taut set up. This is the perfect way to to enjoy the wilderness.

(since it is a tarp condensation in the shelter is rarely a issue)

The SpinnShelter is the lightest weight, full protection waterproof shelter available on the market today. It provides 4.9 sq. ft. (.5 sq. m.) of floor space per ounce of waterproof shelter.

The SpinnShelter has a computer-designed catenary ridgeline, for optimum pitch and tension with minimum fabric stress, and to minimize flapping in winds. The front doors can be pitched open, one side closed to provide a windbreak, with a beak on the open side to provide additional overhang, or fully enclosed as a vestibule. For meal breaks in inclement weather, the SpinnShelter can be set up as a lean-to or fly. The sides of the shelter can be pitched to the ground for severe weather and breezy conditions, or with line to allow better ventilation in humid conditions.

The peak height allows an average hiker to sit up in the shelter. The latest version of the SpinnShelter has been redesigned with a single rear door. The older models had two rear doors, like the front. The new rear door does not provide a beak or vestibule but is flush with the rear sidewalls of the tarp. This configuration makes it much easier to achieve a taut pitch.

Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter

The Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.