Grand Trunk Double Parachute Nylon Hammock

It's really lightweight, packs down really small and…

Summary

It's really lightweight, packs down really small and is super comfortable. It is cheaper than comparable hammocks from other companies even though it includes a hanging system. It's a great option for backpacking, hanging up in the backyard, or wherever you want to use it (as long as there are trees of course). Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Hanging system included

Cons

• Included ropes are short.

I bought this hammock about 3 weeks ago, while working at a summer camp.  I slept in it nearly every night for 2 of those weeks (some rainy nights included) and can say that it was probably the best night’s rest I’d had all summer.

Starting with what I like about it, it’s cheaper than the ENO double hammock but weighs the same, is just as strong and also includes the suspension system, which is lacking from the ENO.  While the hammock is hung up the attached stuff sack doubles as a storage pocket for whatever you need throughout the night.  I’ve stored my phone, headlamp, flip flops and a book in it at the same time and still had room left over.

The hanging ropes are really nice, other than the fact that they can be too short to fit around larger trees.  They make it easy to set it up at whatever firmness you want.  Just figure out how tight you want it and make a knot, problem solved.  Because of this, setup is really simple.  Again, I only wish the ropes were maybe 2 feet longer each.  They also can make marks in the trees so you may want some webbing or some protection for the trees.

The hammock itself is pretty long, plenty wide, made of a great material and is solidly constructed.  I am about 5’ 6” tall and it is about 10’ 6” long, so it really was no issue for me and I don’t imagine it would be for anyone else.  It has plenty of room for 2 people, though I can’t say that I’ve used it for two people.  I have had two people sit in it, with a combined weight of about 300 pounds and had no issue with the system failing.  There are flaps on the edges of the hammock which can close overtop of you at night to block out light and help protect from bugs. Keep in mind that nothing protects from bugs as well as bug netting.

From my experience sleeping in it, I’ve used it in temperatures down to 50° F degrees.  I used a 25 degree down insulated bag that is over 10 years old and wore a fleece and was comfortable the whole night.  In temperatures below 50° F I would probably add an under quilt to help insulate below the hammock because I could definitely feel heat loss through the bottom of my bag.  Using it in rainy weather requires a tarp overtop because it’s not waterproof but it does offer the advantage over tents of being off the ground so you can stay drier from below.

Overall, I consider the Grand Trunk Double hammock one of the best purchases I’ve made in a long time.  I can’t wait to use it more to see how durable and long lasting it is. But go ahead, buy it.  You know you want to… and you won’t regret it!

If you've owned or used a Grand Trunk Double Parachute Nylon Hammock, please share your experience.