Grand Trunk Single Parachute Nylon Hammock

photo: Grand Trunk Single Parachute Nylon Hammock hammock

Price Historic Range: $24.88-$59.99
Reviewers Paid: $35.00

A luxury item that is well worth the weight.

Pros

Cons

• Heavy carabiners
  • Rope hanging straps

After a night sleeping on a hard shelter floor I looked for alternatives and hammocks seemed like a good idea. Those really nice high end backpacking hammock systems with netting and flies were what I wanted, but I couldn't justify the cost.

I bought the Grand Trunk lightweight hammock, but it was just a bit small so I upgraded to this hammock. I only use it during warm weather but I've slept very comfortably under the stars on dry nights and hanging from the rafters in empty shelters.

I keep this hammock in my pack as a luxury item when backpacking and day hiking. I've set it up when the kids were fishing or playing in a stream. On nice days the whole family "hangs out" in the back yard reading and enjoying the fresh air.

This is not a comprehensive camping system but a really nice place to rest.

I wasn't sure what to expect as this is my first hammock. I found a good deal and absolutely love it. I now use it for summer and winter camping with wool blankets and a crazy creek chair under my sleeping bag. Perfect setup, and realized after having this, that while other brands are more popular, Grand Trunk provides a superb product!

• Spacious
  • Convenient with tree straps

Cons

• Heavy carabiners

Setup: Couldn't be easier, loop the rope through tree straps, and hook to carabiner.

Packability: Extremely compact, fits nicely with extra room in the attached bag. One Caveat: I keep waiting for a hammock maker to get smart and move the bag to one end of the hammock so you're not letting the hammock fabric touch the ground while packing up.

Construction & Durability: I've used the Skeeter Beater Pro and the single and love the durability of the single!

Conditions: Cold, hot, woods, urban, used it monthly for over a year and couldn't be happier!

Price Paid: 40-45$

g00se

Craig, welcome to Trailspace & to hanging! My first hammock was a GrandTrunk. AND there ARE smarter hammock makers. Here is the review of my DreamHammock, with the stuff sack at the end: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/dream-hammock/dangerbird/#review31012

Great hammock to bring on any camping or backpacking trip. Great camp comfort item.

Pros

• Packs small

Cons

• Finding the right trees for setup

I would highly recommend bringing a hammock, especially when backpacking. There's many times when you just want a place to relax when in the backcountry.

Great item for relaxing, reading a book, or use it like a chair. It's a very versatile item for camp comfort.

My kids love this thing, my wife enjoyed lounging in. It's great because it packs down to about the size of a Nalgene bottle.

The only problem with a hammock is having an area to hang it. Mine came with a tree hanging kit.

Source: theclymb.com